Introduction: Thattai( Crispy Snack)
- Thattai also called as ´Chekkalu´ is a popular South indian crispy snack made with rice flour and some spices
- It is completely gluten free and vegan
- These crispy snacks are normally made during festivals in large amount and stored in air tight containers and can be a perfect tea time snack.
- One cup rice flour
- One tablespoon sesame seeds
- One teaspoon split bengal gram(chana dal)
- Two tablespoon cooking oil
- Red chilli powder as per taste
- One teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup of water
- Cooking oil for frying
Step 1: First Step
-Take a cup of rice flour in bowl and add tablespoon sesame seeds and a teaspoon chana dal(split bengal gram)
Step 2: Add Spices
Next add teaspoon Red chilli powder,teaspoon ginger garlic paste and mix everything .
Step 3: Add Salt and Two Tablespoon Oil
- Add salt as per taste and two tablespoon oil and give a mix.
- we can see mixture is little crumbled after adding oil
Step 4: Make a Firm Dough
- Slowly add about 1/4 cup water and make a firm dough.( Adjust water quantity little more or less and make a firm dough)
Step 5: Make Small Balls
- Make small balls from prepared dough and keep ready
Step 6: Rolling
- Take 2 plastic sheets or you can use zip lock bags( cut the ziplock bag in to 2 sheets) which willl be perfect for rolling
- Place one dough ball between two sheets and flatten it thin using roller.
Step 7: Frying
- Heat oil in frying pan on medium heat. Check the oil temperature by dropping a small piece of dough,if it sizzle and rises to surface slowly,without changing the color,oil is ready for frying
Step 8: Repeat Same Process With All Dough Balls
- Gently transfer the flattened dough in to oil.Fry them until they turn golden brown in color on both sides
- Repeat same process with all dough balls.
Step 9: Enjoy
-Thattai should be crisp.After it cools store them in airtight container
Participated in the
Gluten Free Challenge