Introduction: The Ultimate Paper Penguin Bomb
Paper is really useful. It can transform into something as big as you and as small as your finger, but what happens when paper combines with mechanics. It gives out something magical. If you want to make a paper penguin bomb follow the Steps below. Well, a paper bomb is a paper structure which pops up using a tension from a rubber band which releases from a latch when dropped from a height. This Project is simple and easy to make and includes cutting of paper, please wear safety gloves and glasses for your personal safety. Good Luck !
Step 1: Ingridients
Gather the material required for the project. The list of the materials is given below -
- Template printed on Paper ( 180gsm - 210gsm )
- Craft Glue Amazon
- Rubber Bands ( 1 Small and 1 long )
- 2 Pennies
Tools for this project -
- A pair of Scissors
- Glue Gun
- X-Acto Knife Amazon
That's all for this project
Step 2: Print, Cut and Score
Here I am using a 210 gsm Paper but you can use anything between 180 gsm - 210 gsm for better results. The PDF of the template is given above. Cut the pieces and score them along the RED lines. Do not fold any piece just score it from the back with a toothpick or any other suitable tool.
Be Careful while handling a pair of scissors. Cutting the Rectangular holes and other small details is really a 'HEAD-CHEWING' task. If you own a Cutting Machine you are away from nightmares and are in true peace
Step 3: The Head
Take the Scored and Cut out head piece.
You can identify it as - It has a printed face and no rectangular cutout is present. Place the piece on a table top or any other working flat surface and follow the following steps
- Fold the Triangles inwards and paste them with glue
- Now take one Rectangular 'reinforcement' piece and glue it on top of the triangles such that if does not come in the way of any joints. [Note: The Smaller rectangular pieces will be used here. Total quantity- 4]
- Now fold the whole unit above the folded triangles inwards and fold it's half back to the outer side.
- Glue the gap between the two symetrical pieces such that it becomes a single piece
- Do the exact same thing for the other side too.
- Fold the other smaller tabs inwards too left on the other 4 parts
Now, Place this thing under some books so that every joint becomes solid andevery thing will become full-proof. Repeat the exact same process by taking the other part of the head.
Identifying features of the base- it has a Rectangular opening at the bottom and is of the same size as the top of the head.
Step 4: The Latch
Now we are going to make the Latch which holds everything in place and enables the penguin to pop up when it is dropped from a height .
NOTE: This part need to be made with utmost care and precision. This construction needs very much care as if one step goes wrong the whole project is dead.
Take the 2 pieces -
- the Strip with 4 sections ( 1 big and 3 small sections )
- The Hexagonal Shaped piece with a strip protruding out
- Take the Hexagonal piece and fold one section from the back of its centre perpendicular to it
- Fold the Longer piece in this fashion too
- Put some glue on the 2nd section of the strip and join it to the single perpendicular piece standing out
- Fold the last leftover piece parallel to the base
- Take the strip with 4 sections and fold the 3 small section into each other just like a roll
- Glue it on the 4th piece to make the whole thing a one piece
- Glue this to the back of thesingle section which was on the hexagonal piece
and it's done.
Step 5: Completing the Head
- Take the top portion of the Head and lay it upside down
- Make a test fit of it with the base of the head
- Place the latch on the top piece such that it locks itself in the bottom piece automatically
- Once everything lines up perfectly glue the latch under the top of the head [ Do not consider the direction of the face ]
- Take the orange piece which was like 2 ice creams joined top to top. Don't eat it as it's the beak of the penguin.
- Fold the piece and glue it such that it looks like one ice cream
- Align it in the centre of the face and glue it to the top piece
- Align the bottom piece with the top such that the white oval on the bottom matches with the face
- once everything is ready get a suitable size rubber band and put it inside the head
- With the help of treezers place the rubber band in the 4 corners of the holders
Fold the head flat as far as it goes freely and drop it from a height !
WoW ! it feels so amazing as its the magic of paper and mechanics !
Step 6: Body
Make the body with the exactly same steps as you did with the head just the differences will be that there is no latch and this time it will be a lot simpler to make
I am breifing the steps below for your convinience
- Fold the triangles, paste the reinforcement rectangular tabs and finally join the rubber band holder
- Paste the 2 symetrical pieces by taking care of the oval shape on the stomach penguin and the rectangular cutouts
- Place the rubber band in the hooks in a rectangle orientation
Then its done too
Step 7: Completing the Main Penguin
Now this is the last big step left to be done.
- Align the rectangular opening on the base of the head and on the top of the body.
- Glue them together
- Do a test pop up so that everything works perfectly and nothing is impeding with the mechanism to prevent its pop up
- If it happens do shave off the protruding part a little but not too much
You will notice that a hexagon, 2 weebed-feet and 2 wings are left. But, wait ! Don't throw 'em away they are useful.
- Paste the hexagon on the bottom ot the base to make it strong enough to hold the tension from the rubber bands
- Next paste thoes 2 webbed feet such that they are just down the face and are not interrupting the latch
- At last paste the wings such that they help balancing the penguin
Step 8: POPPING Time
Fold the penguin with everything set up as shown in the figure and drop it from a height of about 1-2 metres and watch it pop up and go. If your penguin doesn't seem to be working don't worrk just check everything is alright.
If its a major mistake you made make another one because this time you will get everything right and it will be a more perfect piece
TIP: If your penguin is flying off during the pop up and is getting disbalanced hot glue the 2 pennies to the base of the bottom part
If you have any questions pending to ask me feel free to do so down in the comments section below. Do share your views about this mighty penguin and share your creation too as an 'I Made It'
Have a great day ahead !
Participated in the