Introduction: Tiered Plant Stand for a Narrow Space
I had a very successful year sprouting avocado pits for the first time ever.
So successful that my kitchen counter ran out of room for all the pots. And since the kitchen has the best light in the house I needed to figure out how to keep the plants there but off the counter.
All the tiered plant stands I found online either took up too much space, had shelves that didn't allow room for tall avocado plants, or were more money than I wanted to spend.
Hanging planters is one solution but I didn't want to put holes in my ceiling.
So, combine hanging planters with a garment rack to make a narrow tiered plant stand!
These are the supplies (and how much I paid) that I used but other styles might fit your decor better.
- Clothing Garment Rack Coat Organizer Storage Shelving Unit Entryway Storage Shelf 2-Tier Metal Shelf in Black 24.0”Wx13.2”Dx63”H - $30
- Macrame Plant Hanger 3pcs Black Indoor Hanging Planter Basket Flower Pot Holder Cotton Rope with Ceiling Hook,Same Size,4 Legs 37 Inch - $16
- 4.75 Inch Plastic Planter Pots with Saucer Brown Set of 10, Seeding Nursery Planter Pot with Drainage and Tray - $20
- 6.9 Inch Plastic Planters Indoor Set of 5 Flower Plant Pots with Drainage Pallet Modern Decorative Gardening for House Plants - $22
- Medium Brass Planter - $8
- And a variety of other planters acquired in the past
Step 1: Assemble Garment Rack
Assemble garment rack following its instructions but before attaching the top bar slide the macrame plant hangers into place.
Step 2: Add a Tray
Place a tray onto the shelf to make it more stable for more plant pots
Step 3: Hang Plants
Put smaller plants and pots in the macrame hangers.
Step 4: Add More Plants
Put plants that need less light towards the back of the tray.
Step 5: Add Even More Plants
Arrange the different plants so they all have room and adjust them as they grow and need more space.
Step 6: Extras
The very bottom shelf can be used for supplies.
If you have pets or children, keep anything dangerous off the lower shelf.
I use it for dog food.
See, Max knows this is her food!
Step 7: Enjoy! and Max!
There are now more plants in a smaller space with more room for their leaves and I have the kitchen counter free and clear.
Enjoy your plants and wonder what Max is thinking as she watched you put this all together and arrange the plants.
Participated in the
Indoor Plants Challenge