Introduction: Tips for Great TIG Welds
Becoming a good welder will take many hours of practice.
Step 1: Holding and Moving the Torch
Hold the torch so the tungsten is about 1/8" above the workpiece.
The angle that the torch intersects the workpiece is known as the work angle. In general, the torch should bisect the angle of the two workpieces.
Step 2: Using the Torch
There are three actions the user must do at the same time.
- Press the pedal with your foot.
- Press the pedal further for more heat.
- Hold the torch in one hand 1/4" to 1/2" away from the
- Hold the torch still to form a small puddle.
- Hold the filler rod with the other hand.
- Dip the filler rod into the molten puddle.
- Do not heat the filler rod.
After dipping the filler rod, move the torch slightly to the left, and repeat steps 2 & 3 (if welding from right to left).
Each puddle should overlap the previous and form a continuous bead of weld.