- Soak Basmati rice for 20 minutes. Drain water, add 2 cups of hot water and cook rice until soft.
- Take juice of 4 tomatoes using a blender and keep it aside
- 2 cup Basmati Rice
- 4-5 Tomatoes Juicy ripe ones
- 2 Onion medium size chopped
- 2 Green chillies slit
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp Sambar powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
For the Seasoning :
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- Curry leaves a sprig
Step 1: Tomato Biryani
Tomato is is a quick and easy dish prepared with tomatoes and spices. It is perfect for a quick lunch and can be packed in lunch box.
Serving : 2 people
Step 2: Method
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai and add the ingredients mentioned under ‘for the seasoning’
- Add onions and saute till it turns translucent
- Add green chillies and ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a few more minutes
- Then add tomato juice, turmeric powder, chilli powder or sambar powder and salt needed. Cook until oil separates as seen in the picture below.
- Add needed cooked rice to the tomato gravy and mix well
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with papads, potato chips or raita.
- You can use ordinary regular rice or even leftover rice for this recipe.
- If using chilli powder, add 3/4 tsp chilli powder and 1-2 tsp of coriander powder for best results.
- Add needed cooked rice to the mixture, according to your taste .
You might love my Tomato Biryani Recipe also.
Participated in the
One Pot Meals Speed Challenge