Introduction: Traditional Czech Garlic Soup Served in Bread
Garlic soup is an idea autumn and winter dish. It warms you up and it's a great immunity booster.
Originally, it was a meal of the poor and manually working. The ingredients are cheap and poor people could feed the whole family with a pot of this soup.
Nowadays, it's a popular dish served in almost every pub. There are several varieties, some with meat, cheese and noodles but I'd like to teach you one of the traditional recipes and moreover, we're going to serve it in a loaf of bread!
If you'd like to check out more of my recipes, here they are.
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 4-5 medium potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1,5 liters/50 oz of beef broth (or the same amount of water and some dried bouillon)
- some lard (you
- 2 tbsp of dried marjoram
- 1 small round bread loaf/person
Step 1: Make the Soup
1. Peel the vegetables. Cut the onion in thin slices, the garlic in slices and dice the potatoes.
2. Heat up some lard and fry the onion until it turns a little golden.
3. Add potatoes and fry over low heat for three minutes. Then add garlic and fry another 3 minutes.
4. Pour in the broth and add some salt. Boil for 20 minutes, after this time the potatoes should be cooked.
5. If you like thicker soups - and I do - take some of the boiled vegetables, blend them to purée and then stir the blend into the soup.
6. Whisk in the egg when the soup still simmers, add the marjoram and more salt to taste and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
Step 2: Prepare the Bread and Serve
1. Cut off the top of the loaf - not too much, you don't want the loaf too open.
2. Cut a circular shape with a knife, copying the shape of the opening. Don't cut too low, you don't want to penetrate the bottom of the loaf. Using a spoon, kind of dig out the inside of the bread. Go also into the sides but very carefully. Leave some soft inside, especially at the bottom. Don't scrape it all off.
Keep the inside, you can later soak it in the soup.
3. Now you have a loaf ready to be filled with soup.
4. Pour the soup in, serve and eat while hot.
Enjoy and dobrou chuť!
Participated in the
Soup & Stew Speed Challenge
1 Person Made This Project!
- dmytrolev made it!