Introduction: Ultraviolet Germicidal DIY Lamp
In this instructable, I will show you how to make an Ultraviolet germicidal DIY lamp.
Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) is a disinfection method that uses short-wavelength ultraviolet (ultraviolet C or UV-C) light to kill or inactivate microorganisms by destroying nucleic acids and disrupting their DNA, leaving them unable to perform vital cellular functions. UVGI is used in a variety of applications, such as food, air, and water purification. You can use it to disinfect your home, mask etc.
In my case I use it to fight against COVID-19
I will describe step by step the process as tightly as possible with lots of pictures.
Step 1: Tools and Materials
1. 1-hour free time :)
3. Appropriate screwdriver, only size matters.
4. Small hammer or any similar.
5. Empty Cd or DVD spindle box.
6. Ballast for mercury-vapor lamp corresponding to the lamp, mine is 250 W.
7. Mercury-vapor lamp. I used a vintage one. (There are ballastless one on market today - not compatible for this project)
8. Cable, plug and lamp socket (Mine is E40 ceramic. UV laps are very hot)
Step 2: Fabrication Techniques
This step is the hardest one.
I will spare you unsuccessful experiments to extract the core of UV lamp. Make the action outside of your home on a clean surface. I tape the lamp body and then gently hammer it with low amplitude. The expected result is pictured.
Be aware. The UV lamp contains a small amount of mercury. If you break the inner tube do not panic. Leave everything as it is and spill all over the contaminated spot sulfur powder. Sulfer will decontaminate the mercury after some minutes. Collect large debris by hand with gloves or brume, the powder can be collected safely too. All should be transported to the mercury lamp collecting depot.
Step 3: Assembly
To assembly use the diagram.
I mount the socket to the spindle so the lamp stays in an upward position.
You can make a box or any convenient housing.
Step 4: Final Look and Precautions
As you can see it is not a designer product :) but it definitely does the job.
To keep it safe I use a plastic bottle to cover, just remember to cover it after it is cold.
This UV lamp produces a small amount of ozone. If you smell it, just let some clean air to the room and then allow humans to enter.
This UV light source is powerful. Do not stare at it or use it in a room with people or animals inside. Just plug it, leave the room, and close the door behind. To turn it on or off you can use a plug with remote control. This is the safest way.
To be fully informed I suggest reading this Wiki article before making the project.
"For human beings, skin exposure to germicidal wavelengths of UV light can produce rapid sunburn and skin cancer. Exposure of the eyes to this UV radiation can produce extremely painful inflammation of the cornea and temporary or permanent vision impairment, up to and including blindness in some cases. UV can damage the retina of the eye.
Another potential danger is the UV production of ozone, which can be harmful to one's health."
Congratulations and stay on the safe side
Participated in the