Introduction: Vegan Spicy Taco's
Learn how to make the tastiest vegan taco's using jackfruit. These little taco's are an absolute show stopper and are perfect for dinner parties. They only take a few minutes to put together, and are by far my favourite vegan dish ever!! The recipe serves 4 for mains, but can serve up to 8 for starters/appetizers.
Author: Laugharne Makes
Spicy Southern Dipping Sauce:
1/2 cup of unsalted cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
3/4 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 small pinch of cayenne pepper
Spicy Mango Salsa:
1 diced mango
1 small onion finely chopped
1-2 mild chilli's finely sliced
1 bunch of cilantro
A splash of chilli oil
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp lime juice
1 spring onion
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp maple syrup
1 can jackfruit
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp chili paste
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup canned tomatos
3 tsp maple syrup
2 tsp paprika
4 tortilla wraps
Step 1: Prepare the Southern Spicy Sauce
1. Combine the cashew nuts with 330ml of water, and leave to soak for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
2. Once the nuts are plump, combine alongside the coconut milk, spices, lime juice and honey into a high speed blender. Blend the sauce until it is completely smooth.
3. OPTIONAL - To thicken the sauce, add one teaspoon of cornstarch into the blender and blend for a further minute.
4. OPTIONAL - If serving sauce on the side, finish with cashew cream, oregano, and a few heads of cilantro as shown above.
Step 2: Marinade the Spicy Mango Salsa
1. Dice the mango and drizzle in chilli oil to keep moist.
2. Finely chop one small onion and one seeded chilli alongside a few heads of cilantro.
3. Finally, mix all the ingredients together with a pinch of salt, and leave to marinate overnight.
Step 3: Marinade the Jackfruit
1. Place the coconut oil, soy sauce, spices, sliced spring onion, lime and maple syrup into a ziplock bag or jar. Melt this gently either using a microwave or a water bath on low heat until the oil has melted fully.
2. Drain the jackfruit and rinse with cold water. Remove all visible seeds and pull apart using a fork to resemble pulled pork.
3. Mix the jackfruit and the marinade together in a jar/bag, ensuring that all pieces are coated fully. Either leave at room temperature for 2 hours, or in the fridge overnight.
Step 4: Cook the Jackfruit
1. Chop and sauté the onion and garlic in coconut oil. Fry on a high heat until the onion becomes almost translucent.
2. Next, add in the chilli paste and paprika, alongside the tinned tomatoes and heat for a further two minutes. 3. When the tomatoes, chilli and onion are fully incorporated, add the maple syrup and leave on high heat for a further two minutes to allow moisture to evaporate.
4. Add the jackfruit and cover to prevent the fruit drying out, leave simmering on a low heat for around 15 minutes.
5. Once the jackfruit is tender, remove the cover and leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
6. Set aside to cool.
7. OPTIONAL - To reduce the heat of the chilli, add a squeeze of lime into the cooked jackfruit.
Step 5: Presenting the Taco's
1. Cut out approx 10cm circles from the tortilla wraps using either a cookie cutter or stencils.
2. Heat using a frying pan on high heat until the taco's are brown and crispy.
3. Add around 2 tsp of the salsa down the middle of the taco, and top with a generous amount of the jackfruit.
4. Finally, using a teaspoon or piping bag, drizzle the sauce onto the taco's.
5. Enjoy ;))
Second Prize in the
3 years ago
hi! love the recipe, but i should remind you that honey comes from bees, therefor, its not vegan, but the rest is fantastic
Reply 3 years ago
Thank you!! it is possible to swap out the honey for maple syrup and this shouldn't affect the taste too much.
3 years ago
Nice! You've gone to a lot of trouble to make your instructable really good and clear. Great pictures too. well done. voted
3 years ago
Yuuuuum! I really need to find jackfruit to try it out. Everything you made looks incredible :)