Introduction: WikiSeat Creation
Step 1: Beginning
I began with researching WikiSeats on the internet, looking at what others had made.
Then I tried taping some scrap wood pieces to see how things worked.
I tried taping some tree branches but they were too big..
How to get the right angles for the bottoms of the legs?
Then I thought curly legs might be fun..
So more internet research on legs and 3 legged tables and other ideas..
Why not have a circular leg end and not worry about the angle?
Step 2: Curvy Legs
From my previous taped legs I decided on dimensions for my WikiSeat.
A leg that was 28 inches long would create a seat/table that was about 24 inches tall.
Using Adobe Illustrator I created a drawing of my leg..
being sure to have a straight section that was long enough to accommodate the catalyst.
The file was used to cut out legs on scrap wood from another project
using a CNC wood cutter (ShopBot) at TechShopin San Carlos, CA.
Taping the legs helped see how they worked together.
Step 3: Triangle Top Time
The legs need a top... and a three legged table calls for a three sided top...
Using the taped together legs, I estimated the distance for each side of the triangle.
The basic triangle was drawn in Illustrator and then refined to have curves.
The top was cut out from a scrap of wood on the CNC wood cutter at TechShop.
Step 4: Decorate the Parts
I like patterns.. and use a app on the iPad called iOrnament.
All sorts of patterns and colors can be made.
For this project, I made simple black and white patterns and saved pattern tiles.
Each tile was opened and traced in Illustrator and then made into an Illustrator pattern.
The pattern was used to fill an outline of the legs and table top.
Using the LaserCutter at TechShop, the pattern was etched into the wood.
The laser burned the pattern into each side.
Step 5: Finishing
Several steps remain before the WikiSeat is complete.
First each side is covered with at least 3 layers of polyurethane.
I used some that I had left over from another project.
Screws, washers, wing nuts and corner braces were purchased for putting it all together.
Holes were drilled - catalyst and wooden legs
(note, the catalyst comes with a hole in each side of the bracket..
but my wood was too thin to be attached this way.
I drilled an extra hole on the side of each catalyst and screwed both screws to the side)
Legs were screwed into catalyst using bolts, washers and wing nuts.
The legs were attached to the top using brass corner braces.
The braces were bent to the correct angle,
positioned using the etched one inch markers on the underside of the seat
and screwed into place.