Introduction: Zip Tie Cuttlebone Holder for Birds
Cuttlebones are indispensable for your lovely pet birds , they keep birds bones strong and robust as they provide them with the calcium needed .
From now on " everything " is for free !! . no more money expenditure on cuttlebones and cuttlebone holders at pet stores
usually cuttlebones comes with metal thing holding it to the bird cage , this is not praticable and many occasions the metal gets rusted . And cuttlebone holder is expensive , too much money wasting !
In this instructable I will show you how to use zip ties to make your own cuttlebone holder for your sweet birds at home .
Step 1: Tools and Supplies
- Zip ties
- cuttlebone ( I got all the cuttlebones in the picture for free from fishmarket since fishmen consider them useless )
- knife ( here I used my multi-tool knife )
- nail clipper
-paper pins , brooch
- bird perchs , stands
Step 2: 1 Step
make 2 holes opposite to each other on the back of the cuttlebone on the upper side
And 2 holes on lower side
make sure that the holes don't go deeper than the hard layer of the cuttlebone
you should try slowly and smoothly . stop as you notice that the hard layer is beginning to be perforated almost completely
Step 3: 2nd Step
- take the paper pin and unfold it
and strip it
- bend it just a little bit so it makes it easily through to the opposite hole
or you can just use a brooch instead
repeat sliding the pin in and out so you make tunnel-like hole betwee the two outer holes making sure you stay close to the hard layer from inside .
Do the same thing for the lower part
Step 4: 3d Step
- take two zip ties and bend a little bit their ends , you can use pliers or just use your hands
- simply slide the 2 zip ties from one hole to the opposite one
using small size zip ties is recommended because they are more flexible and do not break the hard layer when being tied
Step 5: 4th Step
- take normal bird stand and make it shorter ( I used the multi-tool knife saw )
- I took stand-like from a food holder because I found it more suitable and comfortable for my bird
- you can use many different perchs as you like
Step 6: 5th Step
cut the lower part of the cuttlebone
choose the right spot in the cage and tie it to the cage bars
then cut off the excessive zip tie ends .
Please like and comment !
Participated in the
Full Spectrum Laser Contest 2016
Participated in the
Zip Tie Challenge
7 years ago
Very thorogh directions and your bird is cute :)
Reply 7 years ago
Thank you for your sweet comment Penolopy