632Views8Replies

Author Options:

Emergency heating. Answered

Can you use a charcoal BBQ grill as an emergency heater for inside of a home if you were using wood as the fuel?How and what would be the safest way to do so?

Discussions

0
Jcarlson82
Jcarlson82

7 days ago

Hey Ron just wondering what your situation is that has you motivated to go to such extreme risk? ...
- whatever it may be, there are plenty of other options that can produce a sustainable heat source that will be more than adequate for a small home -
Keep in mind that every motor whether it be a fan, a drill, blender, etc..., it is essentially a D/C generator. A little simple wiring reconfiguration, a D/C to A/C converter and you can power any small heaters you have.
*

1
BuilderOnABudget
BuilderOnABudget

14 days ago

Don't use a BBQ grill indoors. Carbon monoxide is very lethal. For emergency heating your best option is either a kerosene or propane heater that's rated for indoor use. Be sure to use proper ventilation (usually just cracking open a window or two).

0
drpierrechow
drpierrechow

19 days ago

This is never a good idea. Exposing yourself and your household to the smoke is a dangerous game. If you absolutely had to do it, you would need a fireplace or some other sort of vent that allows the smoke to escape while retaining the heat

0
Orngrimm
Orngrimm

4 weeks ago

check those videos on how to improvise heater with fire in the wild. Especially the 3rd video as it uses warm air to heat and not water.





0
Downunder35m
Downunder35m

4 weeks ago

If you need to use a BBQ then use it outside.
Preferably one made from metal tubing.
A drum like shape from heat resistant tubing can hold your fire and a fan can pump air through the pipes.
Only needs something to direct the hot air inside, like an aluminium duct.

People tried this and similar with various success rates.
Low efficiency, lack of temperature control and with that the risk of creating a fire anyway means that in almost all countries heating devices of any kind are heavily regulated.
Not to make it costly, but because people otherwise would try things like a BBQ inside the house...

0
Orngrimm
Orngrimm

4 weeks ago

Dont. At least not directly.
google Carbon monoxide poisoning.
It is a real danger with open flames indoors.
Of you want to heat, use a oven with those fuels, The oven needs to pull the exhaustgases out to the outside. The oven gets hot and warms the room. Indirect heating so to speak. Never try to use the hot gases from a fire directly in a closed room!

0
Jack A Lopez
Jack A Lopez

4 weeks ago

I noticed Wikipedia also has articles for: "Chimney", "Smoke canopy", "Kitchen hood", "Fume hood".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimney

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_canopy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_hood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fume_hood


I consider these to be all in the same broad category. These are all contrivances for moving gaseous combustion (or other reaction) products away from the source that is making them.

Also did you know that people who clean chimneys professionally, are unusually lucky?

Well, I don't know if that is true or not, but there was a song about it, in the movie Mary Poppins, the original one from 1964.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Poppins_(film)

;-P

0
Jack A Lopez
Jack A Lopez

4 weeks ago

I think the most essential feature of any appliance with a fire burning inside of it, is a provision to dispose of the gaseous combustion products.

For wood stoves and fire places, this provision is called a "chimney". It is this tall, vertical pipe, that provides a way to pull the smoke out of the house.

Without the chimney, I think this, what you call, "charcoal BBQ grill" when used indoors, is just going to fill up the inside of the house with smoke, as well as other combustion products, including the deadly carbon monoxide.

I am going to link to the Wikipedia article for "Carbon monoxide poisoning," in particular the section labeled "Causes"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_pois...

I think this sentence in particular is pithy:

"Exposure typically occurs when [combustion] equipment is used in buildings or semi-enclosed spaces."

I am also going to link to the Wiki article for "Wood-burning stove"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood-burning_stove

Because that is the way the pros do it. I mean, that is the usual way, for people who are not suicidal, to safely burn wood inside their homes.

0
herb ray
herb ray

4 weeks ago

no! set house on fire or carbon monoxide poisoning. way too much to go wrong