135Views10Replies

Author Options:

I want to use high power magnets to hold a switch plate cover on . Is it Ok or dangerous ? Answered

Comments

The forums are retiring in 2021 and are now closed for new topics and comments.
0
jex52
jex52

11 years ago

It's dangerous because it could attract the current and spark. This could cause a fire.

0
steveastrouk
steveastrouk

Answer 11 years ago

A magnet can't attract a current towards itself. Remember Fleming's laws.

0
Jack A Lopez
Jack A Lopez

Answer 11 years ago

It is true that magnetic fields deflect currents rather than attract them, in the sense that the force on the charges is at a right angle to both the field, and the velocity of the charge (relative to the field).

However, under certain circumstances, a magnet can attract current towards itself.  As I understand it, this is part of the part of the explanation of the auroras.  Charged particles from the solar wind get  "trapped" in helical orbits around the Earth's magnetic field lines, and wind up following the following the field lines to either the north, or south, magnetic pole. 

Of course this situation with the Earth's field and the auroras is completely different than the one with the yet-to-be-constructed magnetic switch plate.  But just to be pedantic, there are situations when a magnet can attract current, or at least charged particles, towards itself.

0
steveastrouk
steveastrouk

Answer 11 years ago

<pedant>
You're referring to the "cyclotron" effect I think ? but there,  the field is still perpendicular to the motion, and no magnets have been hurt in the process....
</pedant>

Steve

0
Jack A Lopez
Jack A Lopez

11 years ago

It probably won't be "up to code" since the cover will be too easy to take off, but other than that it sounds mostly harmless.

Regarding interactions between the current in your wires and the magnetic field of the magnets, I think the worst that could happen is maybe some vibration or buzzing noises, but probably only if the magnet is right next to a current carrying wire.

I say, "Do it!", and see what happens.

0
Jack A Lopez
Jack A Lopez

Answer 11 years ago

BTW, if you live in a country where they don't have electrical code, then obviously that junk about "up to code" need not apply.
;-)

jungle-wiring.jpg
0
martzsam
martzsam

11 years ago

That depends on how much heat goes through the area, heat can ruin magnets.

0
steveastrouk
steveastrouk

Answer 11 years ago

?????
I don't think the Curie point for a practical magnet, for holding a switch plate on is likely to be an issue here.

0
lemonie
lemonie

11 years ago

Holding it on probably isn't a problem, it's taking it off. I assume you want this easily-removed for some reason?

L