IR Switch. Will this work? Answered
Hi Guys & Girls
Obviously, i am new to this and my electronics knowledge is very limited.
Let me first explain what my desired outcome is and then proceed with the questions i have.
In the schematic below i connected two circuits that i found. One is a infrared receiver and the other a flip flop. With that, the following needs to happen : when the user presses a button on a IR transmitter aimed at the receiver circuit in the schematic it is sent through pin 3 to the flip flop circuit which in turn puts the relay in a (permanent) ON state. When the user presses the same button again, the process is repeated and puts the relay in a (permanent) OFF state. So bottom line a 1 button/channel IR press on press off switch to switch my 12v circuit on/off.
Here are my questions:
1. Is the receiver circuit correct as i have drawn it i.e. will it work?
2. Is the flip flop circuit correct as i have drawn it i.e. will it work?
3. Where i have the red circle : 1. Is the connection between the receiver and flip flop circuit there correct? 2. Do i need another resistor there?
4. Do i need a “floating resistor” as a R5 around the relay and how does the practical application of this look (on all the diagrams i look at it’s drawn around the relay going from an input to an output on the same wire......does that mean that on the pcb it will run parallel between the “pos+ and neg-“ going into the relay?)
5. Is my relay connection correct within the blue circle?
6. All and all, put together will my circuit work as expected?
I know there are probably a whole bunch of ways to achieve the result i am looking for and being a noob, this might be the most impractical(i don’t know), but the reason i went this route is because i have these components available to me and if at all possible, i would not want to go and buy other components.
Thanks in advance for any help provided. I find it much easier to learn by building the circuits and then seeing with a multi meter etc. what the effects of each component is than reading through all these books and trying to cram everything into this thick skull of mine
Schematic Component Values :
R1 = 220k ; R2 = 100k ; R3 = 10k ; R4 = 10k ; R5 = ?
C1 = 1uf ; C2 = 0.01uf ; C3 = 10u
Rx1 = Any tsop/similar
U1 & U2 = 555 timers