373Views1Replies

Author Options:

Make electricity from trash! Answered

Hey, guys! recently I've published my FIRST instructable! It's a project to make electricity from biogas produced from organic materials. Check the link below to have more information:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Cash-from-Trash-Make-your-very-own-electricity/

Note: this instructable is in the "green living and technology challenge" so if you like it vote for me!

Comments

The forums are retiring in 2021 and are now closed for new topics and comments.
0
Qcks
Qcks

9 years ago

First, the criticism:
It's missing alot if it's meant to be a comprehensive guide to making a methane generator.
First, methane is produced in the barrel by anaerobic bacterial action. The bacteria that performs that action has specific requirements, and i don't think you addressed those requirements very well in the instructable. Ignoring the biological elements of a methane generator is like ignoring the transmission on a car.

After that... there's a lot of chemistry facts that might help.
The US actually uses methane for heating quite a bit.
It's not called methane, it's called natural gas, but it's a mixture that contains 95% methane, with the other 5% being natural and artificial impurities that are more a result of gas mains and safety standards then a regular impurity. to a chemist, 95% purity in a gas mixture is pretty good.

Now the praise:
The instructable isn't a bad starting point for people looking to experiment with small scale methane generation.