585Views44Replies

Author Options:

Marx generator - what do you want me to zap? (Videos!) Answered

Okay, some of you are asking me to zap, shock, things with my 50Kv marx generator.

Say what you want me to zap in the comment and I will see if I can do it, and post the photos here on this forum topic. I might do a slideshow...

Oh, and here's an instructable about building a marx generator. Build a simple Marx Generator

(UPDATE)
I posted some of the videos! Sorry for the bad quality, I used a crappy camera... :(











I hope you enjoyed it!

Discussions

0
Dreistein
Dreistein

7 years ago

hey i'd like to make a device i can attach to say my foot ,that if i touch someone they would get a shock basically like when you walk with socks over a carpet but the effect is automated. A guy made an ible https://www.instructables.com/id/The-mini-electrostatic-generator/ where he makes what im describing but its not very detailed. any ideas?

0
st5k
st5k

Reply 7 years ago

http://www.amazing1.com/negative_ion.htm has a 12vdc device that i used to build the same thing u are describing... all you would need is a 9v batt and a switch with a lil wire. i know it says its 12vdc but only put 9 thru it if u are attaching it to yourself because it will create enough voltage to creep up the side of ur boot. if ur smart u will use a momentary switch rather than a toggle as i did to avoid some very uncomfortable situations lol

0
Kiteman
Kiteman

11 years ago

Short the spark across undeveloped camera film, see what traces it makes.

Make the spark jump near small invertebrates - ants, woodlice etc - to see how they react. Do they immediately scurry back to the nest and move larvae to dry chambers, as if a storm was coming?

Through a grape.

Through a pickle

A cloud of flour.

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Camera film - I might use one that is already used...
Near small invertebrates - I will try do that, however the spark might kill them...
Through a grape - Possible, will do that as soon as my parents gets some grapes...
Through a pickle - Not possible, my parents does not buy pickle...
A cloud of flour - Hell, no! It WILL cause an explosion, and burn down my lab!

0
Sandisk1duo
Sandisk1duo

Reply 11 years ago

lol "lab"

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Yep. my little wooden garden shed had turned into my laboratory!

0
Sandisk1duo
Sandisk1duo

Reply 11 years ago

all i have is a table outside with a bunch of circuit boards on it

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Can you do it in your house?

0
Sandisk1duo
Sandisk1duo

Reply 11 years ago

ya, but my room is usually covered in free samples, wires, bits of solder, and homework

0
guyfrom7up
guyfrom7up

Reply 11 years ago

Haha I have a decent workshop my desk is crowded with: my keyboard 2 monitors lamp homemade computer modded psu lamp mouse giant breadboard various tools and components I do all of my soldering in my workshop I do all of my designing and prototyping in my room at my desk oh, except stuff involving ac mains I do that in the workshop cause if I trip the breaker my computer turns off and that's very annoying

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Wow! You must be lucky to have a decent workshop! My lab (well really, it is a workshop) is very tiny, all four walls are crammed up with boxes and stuff... :( However, I manage to to some projects!

0
chriskarr
chriskarr

Reply 11 years ago

I'm going to get a new workshop as soon as the building that we have for our shop collapses. My dad told me that he'd give me a workbench and that he'd build a new shop and - very possibly - get a lathe. (I just hope he gets a metal lathe, so that I can lathe metal and wood and wind my Tesla Coil secondaries!)

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Wow! you would be very lucky if you do get an lathe! (I wish I had one...)

0
guyfrom7up
guyfrom7up

Reply 11 years ago

noice I have a lathe that's about 100 years old, but still good. It can only do wood, though. I wish I had a metal lathe...

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Cool!

I bet that is what you used to wind your tesla coil...

0
Sandisk1duo
Sandisk1duo

Reply 11 years ago

lol, when i trip a circuit, half my house dies ) : and my parents are all like, "what the hell was that?" most my electric-working stuff is in a cardboard box, the rest of it is on the floor/on my table : )

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

I had that sort of problem before, and a little 2 amp fuse saved me from being banned from my workshop. I was testing some transformers using the mains power from the converter, without realizing the bad transformer would short out the mains, I heard loud buzzing noise from the converter, and my shed blacked out... Later found out the fuse had blown and my dad's converter is alright, (that was close, my dad would band me from my shed if the converter was blown....)

0
guyfrom7up
guyfrom7up

Reply 11 years ago

I use to freak out when the breaker trips, I would be like "OMG, what if I burned out the wiring in the wall, what if I broke part of the house! OMG I'm not seeing any of the breakers tripped! Oh, wait a minute, tripped breakers only look slightly different than non trippen ones, sigh...."

0
Sandisk1duo
Sandisk1duo

Reply 11 years ago

if any of those bad things happened, i would just call management, (i live in appts) and they would fix it, i'd blame it all on the faulty wiring(30yr+ old)

0
wolf555hound
wolf555hound

Reply 11 years ago

how bout a cluod o' olive oil spray?(tries) nvm....also, try with some jell-o and vienna sausages(honestly, i love 'em)

0
Kiteman
Kiteman

Reply 11 years ago

A small cloud won't burn down your lab, just blow a handful across the spark-gap...

0
musicalbee2003
musicalbee2003

Reply 11 years ago

Kiteman, you pyro!

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Okay... I will do it...

0
Sandisk1duo
Sandisk1duo

Reply 11 years ago

lol, cloud of flour, it's not going to do that Kiteman! you know what i'm talking about! he would need to get the precise amount of flour particles in the air, not impossible, but highly unlikely!

0
Kiteman
Kiteman

11 years ago

Very cool - I liked the bulbs, but did the sparks actually hit the ice cube, or did they hit the metal it was on? I know, make a "popsicle", but instead of a stick, use a length of wire with the exposed end hidden inside the ice.

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Okay, the spark does hit the ice, however instead of going through the ice, the spark travels along the surface of the ice and to the metal foil. If the ice wasn't there, the spark cannot jump...

0
Kiteman
Kiteman

Reply 11 years ago

Ah.

0
guyfrom7up
guyfrom7up

11 years ago

an LED LEDs are actually really hardy, I hooked up one end to earth ground and the other end to my 30kv powersupply (well, through an arc) and it lit up fine. I then hooked it up to a normal coin cell and it still worked! a CFL? an old IC styrofoam (break it up into those annoying little pellets that attach to everything static

0
iman
iman

Reply 11 years ago

try hooking it up to a twelve volt battery (dont use your fingers to hold the LED ) you will end up with a loud bang and plastic every were.

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Done. (Except the styrofoam and IC part)

0
guyfrom7up
guyfrom7up

Reply 11 years ago

woot, the led glows does the led still work normally?

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Umm, I don't know, I had not tested it yet... But I will test it soon.

0
robot797
robot797

11 years ago

could a macrowave transformer work to power this or would it burn (what it normaly does as you use it for sparks) wee bad grammar me dutch

0
guyfrom7up
guyfrom7up

Reply 11 years ago

a microwave transformer could work, but mind you MICROWAVE TRANSFORMERS ARE VERY DANGEROUS. They have high voltage AND high current output Also Neon Sign Transformers are pretty dangerous, especially if it can output more than 15mA. it takes 20mA to kill you, and with the high voltage potential it'll be easily reached.

0
killerjackalope
killerjackalope

Reply 11 years ago

What kind of outputs are we talking here? I never really saw figures on anything...

0
guyfrom7up
guyfrom7up

Reply 11 years ago

MOT's outputs are usually 2kv (2000 volts) at a couple hundred milliamps (I think it's around 200mA)

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Most microwave transformers give out about 500mA, some may even give out 2 amps!!!

0
killerjackalope
killerjackalope

Reply 11 years ago

Hmm, 50KV at ~8ma is a distinct possibility...

0
Plasmana
Plasmana

Reply 11 years ago

Done...

0
Jackhole
Jackhole

Reply 11 years ago

And an ice cube shaped to look like a snowman.

0
whatsisface
whatsisface

11 years ago

A single corn kernel.

0
heroes junkie
heroes junkie

11 years ago

I think truly there if there is one thing that needs to be zapped it's POPCORN I'd love to see that and also a green twig and a dead one

0
Sandisk1duo
Sandisk1duo

11 years ago

mhm.... old working devices with a screen, game boy...etc maybe an old portable TV? a very crappy computer get it on video, it would be appreciated!