My Laptop Is Broke. But how? Answered
I have an old dinosaur laptop (a Fujitsu Life-book C2330 approx. 7 years old.) that worked up until very recently. I packed it up in my closet for a few weeks, and when I decided to re-purpose it, the laptop wouldn't power up. I believe the problem is not in the laptop itself, but in its power transformer. When the transformer was working, it would make a high-pitch, low volume, whine. But now the transformer only whines once for a half second every five seconds. This could maybe be attributed to a blown capacitor or other electronic mishap. If that is the case however, it would probably be more worth my time buying a new transformer.
My second idea is that the transformer has been damaged but usable for a while, but the laptop requires a slight charge of some kind in the battery to get it going, and the old transformer doesn't have the guts to give that charge. Metaphorically leaving me with a car with a dead battery, trying to jump-start off another car with another dead battery. If this is the case, then I should buy a new battery.
My third idea is that both the transformer and the battery are not the problem, and it is the power jack that is the problem. I had to open the computer up not too long ago to re-solder the loose power jack. The screws that attached a ridiculously large EMI cage to the motherboard were stripped, so I had to drill them out, and then bend the EMI cage about 45 degrees. That allowed me to fix the power cord, but it also damaged my internal wireless card. After putting it all back in one piece, the laptop worked fine until I bought a new one, when I put it in my closet and forgot about it. Which brings me back to the thought that the power jack is broken. But it doesn't look broken at all, it doesn't feel broken, and it doesn't jiggle in the laptop. And if the jack is broken, I might as well just give up.
The last possibility, is that the laptop, the transformer, the battery, and the power jack are all usable, but the power cord, which looks fine on the outside, might have lost its conductivity, or become frayed and detached inside its rubber casing. Which can be easily fixed by opening it up and reattaching the wires.
That's my situation. I don't know which of these ideas it is, but it has to be one of them. I appreciate any help I can get.
Sorry for the bad image quality. Not that the pictures help much anyway.