Author Options:

My Neighbors Are Mad: My Guitar Amp Headphone Jack Doesn't Work. Answered

I have the same problem with a Phil Pro amp for an electric guitar. I have a 1/4 inch jack to 3.5mm adapter, I know it works because I use it on my turntable amp, but when using it on the guitar amp I just get the amp speaker sound, no sound on headphones. I want to learn how to play guitar in the night, so this is crucial to me.


The forums are retiring in 2021 and are now closed for new topics and comments.
Jack A Lopez
Jack A Lopez

11 months ago

I am reminded of the lyric from that old song, "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits.

"I shoulda learned to play the guitar."

I suppose if you are presently learning to play the guitar, and you're serious about it, then you are a step ahead in that game.

The Wikipedia article for "Phone connector (audio)" has a picture of a typical headphone jack,


and that picture is worth looking at, (I will attach it to this post too.) because it shows the mechanism by which one circuit is opened, disconnected, and another is closed, connected, by the action of pushing the plug into the jack.

Actually, since you have one of these jacks in your possession, in your guitar amp, you could examine this jack up close, simply by taking the amp apart.

Then push a plug into the jack, carefully watching the little springy metal contacts move apart. Then remove the plug, and watch the little metal contacts move back together. That is the way it usually works.

There is a possibility for some other, invisible mechanism, like an amplifier that senses the presence of headphones electrically, like via a change in impedance, then switches off the big speaker, also electrically.

However, I am guessing the old-fashioned way, using a jack with moving, springy contacts, is more common because I imagine this method is cheaper, and reliable enough, usually.

There also exists the possibility that you could install a switch, like a big toggle switch, or similar, to switch the signal from one output to another, e.g. from speaker to headphone jack, or put a switch in series with the big speaker, just to be able to mute it, by disconnecting it, when you want to.

Although I am kind of hoping all you have to do is adjust the springy metal contact in that jack, like by bending it a little bit with a screw driver, to get it moving the way it is supposed to move. Or replacing that jack with a new one, or whatever you have to do.