Over the years I've done a lot of things that didn't work out well, and I try learn something from them hoping to avoid similar problems in the future. I think ibles needs a place to share these 'educational moments' to help others avoid pitfalls and to console with laughter anyone who is sitting amidst the ruins of their own project. So here's the place to share. I'll go first...........
My first dramatic failure at about age 8 - Gluing glitter onto balloons. Not a good idea. The glue popped the balloon (I think it was 'airplane glue' ) The result was glue and glitter everywhere (including in my eyes) and a lot of unhappiness.
Then there was the hot glue surprise - Using a glue gun to close drip irrigation holes in a garden hose. It plugged the holes and worked just fine in the overcast cool spring weather. Then a rare sunny day heated the hose, and all those plugs melted and the holes started jetting water. I hadn't realized how hot a green hose in the sun could get.
And I have made some just plain stupid moves - like spending hours pulling all the shreds of paper out of the toothed wheels on the paper shredder.... you know how they get sucked inside. After getting it all clear I thought I might as well lubricate the thing with spray silicon stuff. So far so good. And then I was so excited to see how it much better it would work, I turned it on. Flash of flame, slightly singed eyebrows, and a TOTALLY dead smoking shredder. Ummm.... it's really worthwhile to let solvents totally evaporate before turning on electrical things.