Ponoko 10-day Jewelry Design Challenge Answered
Ponoko is holding a Laser Cut Jewelry Design Challenge. Design a piece of jewelry, made by laser cutting, for a chance to win free copies of your designs or $1000 for the overall winner. Be sure to share your creations here with an Instructable, or Slideshow Instructable!
The Ponoko 10-day Jewelry Design Challenge
Body adornment dates back 30,000 years. It serves as a way to communicate our personal identity to the world and has a physical and emotional relationship to our bodies.
Your challenge is to create inspired and evocative jewelry on a laser cutter - within 10 days!
You can treat material in a variety of ways using a laser-cutter. You can cut shapes and mark patterns on the surface. You can create a single 2D piece or something more complex assembled from a number of parts.
Laser surface treatments can be a graphic in nature or a texture. There are infinite possibilities for treating the surface of a material to add value and interest.
Jewelry need not be 2D. You could make 3D jewelry using layers of material connected in an interesting way. Think about how multiple pieces can be combined to create an interesting design.
Attention to detail, material combinations, connections, production feasibility and quality will be key to making your design stand out.
Up to $10,000 in prizes
Up for grabs:
* Open round
o The designers of the top 25 entries get their product made for free - that's materials, making and shipping
o Plus they'll be invited to submit their entry into the final round
* Invitation round
o The top 10 designs win US$300 cash
o Plus there's an additional Grand Prize of US$1,000 cash for the overall winner
* It must be possible for Ponoko to make the main component of your design.
* Designs must be new (i.e. not already hosted on Ponoko).
* You can only use materials in the Ponoko materials catalog.
* You can use extras such as hooks, chains, clasps, pins etc (supplied and assembled by you).
* If you submit multiple designs, they must be unique. Please don't just submit iterations of the same design.
* Designs may be as simple or as complex as you want.