Author Options:

Redirecting a mechanical force? Answered

Hi, im looking for some help with a physics/engineering type problem.

Im looking for the most effective method of tranfering a mechanical force from one direction to another.

For example if i had a 1" horizontal rod struck on its east face which then begins to travel westward on a fixed horizontal track, im looking for a method of transfering the energy (not sure if thats the right word) in the opposite direction.

A few important factors are that the rod which is struck does need to travel around 4 inches on the fixed rail, and any vertical movement needs to be kept to a minimum.

Below is one of my early ideas, serves little pupose as the mechinism is too large but gives you the jist of what im talking about.



Best Answer 9 years ago

The only way to change the direction of an applied force mechanically is by means of a fixed frame ("fixed" as in "firmly attached to the ground").  Otherwise, you simply end up moving your entire structure in the original directly (even if much more slowly).  Now, having said that....

Any kind of fixed pivot point can do the job.  Your design, involving a lever action, is fine.  You could also use a rope/chain and pulley mechanism, if you can apply the force as a "pull" rather than a "push."  A blending of the two, which would allow either push or pull, would be a fixed wheel with two rods attached on pivots at opposite ends of a diameter.

All of these methods require some sort of guide to keep the actuators aligned in the directions you want your forces to go.  Otherwise, the obvious torque will simply swing the parts around.


Answer 9 years ago

One might note that a 180-degree Bell Crank might be more easily recognizable under its more commonly used name of "a stick"....


9 years ago

It would be nice to know what you want to do with this...?