95Views14Replies

Author Options:

Thread replies are showing out of context Answered

Timeline:  Ever since the update to the visual layout where the replies etc to <anything> are outlined with a fancy new box (handy feature) --

Symptom: The replies are showing as being to the wrong parent - as in they are embedding a level deeper to the wrong person.  I got a notification that I had received a reply (see attached) that the person had said "coolio!" to me, yet on examination, it renders as a child comment to AngryRedHead.

I've noticed this ALL OVER, when live replying, it will show new comments as sibling level replies rather than child level replies. 
ex:
Parent thread.
-->reply1
-->reply2
.....--->child reply to reply1  <should render directly under reply1, but appears under 2>

..... = indent

Comments

The forums are retiring in 2021 and are now closed for new topics and comments.
Kiteman
Kiteman

11 years ago

I think that is specific to the "Answers" section - when an answer is selected as "best", it gets stickied to the top of the pile, but any pre-existing replies to the best answer remain in chronologically-posted locations.

Normally not a problem, but sometimes the "best" answer is the whole of the thread that starts with the marked reply.

frollard
frollard

Reply 11 years ago

I've seen examples elsewhere...even as I'm working with non-bested answers, and in threads.

Kiteman
Kiteman

Reply 11 years ago

Other places I've seen it, a simple refresh fixed it.

frollard
frollard

Reply 11 years ago

test reply to "other places..."

Kiteman
Kiteman

Reply 11 years ago

Continuing test.

frollard
frollard

Reply 11 years ago

unacceptable!

Kiteman
Kiteman

Reply 11 years ago

We'll see what Rachel says...

frollard
frollard

Reply 11 years ago

just figured it's worth a look...

of course, all replies in this thread are nested properly... :S

Kiteman
Kiteman

Reply 11 years ago

Maybe because there's only one thread in the topic?

frollard
frollard

Reply 11 years ago

Reply to "I've seen examples"

kelseymh
kelseymh

Reply 11 years ago

Reply to Geflarbel

frollard
frollard

Reply 11 years ago

Reply to geflarbel

kelseymh
kelseymh

11 years ago

Your particular example above is problematic -- you were selected as Best Answer.  That automatically locks your comment at the top of the threads, and the entire set of child comments below it are left orphaned.  They get attached to some other comment in the thread.

This can also happen if one of the Staff locks a comment in a regular forum topic.  You can tell a comment's been locked because it doesn't have a REPLY button.  Anyone who replied before the comment was locked (or if the author replies via their profile comments link, rather than through the thread) also has their child comments left as orphans.