Author Options:

V-gouge or U-gouge? Answered

Looking for one of these I found my supplier has V shaped and U shaped gouges. Which is better for general use? They say the V gouge is expressly for 90 degree folds.



Best Answer 3 years ago

I tend to use a V gouge, and I think it is better for general use. It gives you a bit more of a precise fold than a U gouge, and when you are using an adjustable one it gives you the option to make a very narrow gouge when it is adjusted to a shallow setting. I'm sure a U gouge would work too, but V gouge is definitely a more commonly used tool.