Well, it's a start..... Answered
Just as it got warm here, our dual fan, window fan gave up the ghost.....but I wasn't about to just throw it out without a fight.....
First step, most likely suspect, since there was no strain on the cord, was the switch, an old OLD 4 position mechanical clunker that sparked visibly in the dark under the Bakelite case.
That seemed ok (it was screwed together so disassembly was a snap). Testing continuity gave mixed results. So, I found the place where I has spliced a longer cord into the short wire to the switch and viola'! After only 45 minutes of getting absolutely filthy with dust, I found the broken wire. This time, instead of just soldering and taping, I put some heat shrink tube in line before soldering them back together. Now I have my fan back......ok, so I guess I am not completely worthless yet :-)