Author Options:

What is a good adhesive for draughtsman's mylar? Answered

I want to make a smooth drawing surface to place on a dining room table. The material I have on hand is used mylar sheets from an engineering shop, about the thickness of paper. I'd like to cut the sheets down to quarter-size or so and laminate several thicknesses together to make a semi-rigid surface.  I've tried several adhesives I have on hand, and the one that works best is Elmer's Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive, but even that doesn't stick very well. So, what's the best option to glue this stuff together, keeping in mind that I don't want anything thick that will distort the sheets or create a lot of bubbles?


The forums are retiring in 2021 and are now closed for new topics and comments.
Quercus austrina
Quercus austrina

8 years ago

Mylar (registered tradename) is a type of polyester/plastic sheet (known as Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)), so you'll need something that will stick to that, probably a 2 part glue similar to what plumbers use. Just be sure to be smooth with the glue parts and use a roller to press the pieces together and remove all air bubbles/pockets and "lumps of glue".

Better off would be to use a smooth board and covering. This is the stuff we had on our drafting tables for years and it really lasts. The tables were used daily and I remember replacing one (only 1) cover in the 26 years at that office. It was stuck on with double sided stick tape. I'd say it was a worthy investment.