Author Options:

What is this tool and what is it used for? Answered

Does anyone know what this is and what it is used for?


The forums are retiring in 2021 and are now closed for new topics and comments.
Jack A Lopez
Jack A Lopez

1 year ago

My best guess is this was some kind of pick-and-place robot arm.


Also guessing the sucker manipulator (black rubber suction cup thing), and the camera, are both pointed downward, perhaps at a conveyor belt, when this thing is working.

The camera, plus machine vision software (running on that motherboard), identifies objects in its field of view. The software makes a decision about an object it wants to pick up.

Then the sucker manipulator can be moved, back and forth, and down, to place it on top of the object. Then vacuum (supplied by the vacuum pump) is used to pick up the object.

Then the arm can move the object it has picked up, some short distance, and set it down, or drop it, somewhere else.


Reply 1 year ago

Thank you.. that makes sense. Now to figure out if it works!