Author Options:

What kind of sensor should I use to measure hot and cold drinks just beyond a sheet of glass? Answered

I want to design a robot/computer that will be placed under a piece of glass, and give out readings to my controller as to the temperature of whats on the glass. I was going to use a red and blue LED, displaying/mixing the colors to glow as hot and cold items are moved around on the glass (coffee table). What kind of sensor should I use? Can I use a typical IR sensor? or something more elaborate?



Best Answer 9 years ago

Try one of the cheap IR thermometers that Maplin in the UK and HArbor Freight in the USA sell. If it works through glass (and Kiteman is dead right), you're good to go. If it doesn't, I'd try acrylic (lucite, perspex) instead. Sure, they scratch easier, but if it works.... Steve


9 years ago

I can't answer your question directly, but you need to know that some kinds of glass block IR - that's how greenhouses stay warm.