198Views5Replies

Author Options:

What should I do if I broke a CFL.? Answered

 Besides clean up the glass. I understand that there is mercury in them. Is there a an amount in one bulb that could cause a health hazard?

Discussions

0
kelseymh
kelseymh

Best Answer 10 years ago

No, the quantity of mercury in a CFL (milligrams or less) is not a health hazard if your room has good ventilation.  You should still clean it up, so it doesn't persist and get ingested by someone or something small.  Here's what the U.S. EPA recommends.

0
orksecurity
orksecurity

10 years ago

http://www.epa.gov/mercury/spills/#fluorescent

(Websearch: "broken compact fluorescent")

0
kelseymh
kelseymh

Answer 10 years ago

:-)  I think I started writing my comment before yours, but it took me longer to collect the EPA URL.  Oh, well.

0
orksecurity
orksecurity

Answer 10 years ago

I have a friend who signs this kind of answer with a "job title" of Web Search Engineer.

0
kelseymh
kelseymh

Answer 10 years ago

:-D  That is most excellent!