With an electromagnet, if there's a open reed switch betwen 1 end of the coil's wire & powersource, will e-mag get hot? Answered
I'm building an electromagnet.
The core is soft iron: 0.5" diameter and 1" long. AWG 12 wire OR enameled copper magnet wire 32 gauge
So the wire is wrapped around the core. One wire end leads to a reed switch which connects to one of the two wires of the 9 volt snap-on battery clip. The other wire end connects straight to the 9 volt snap-on battery clip with nothing in between. Will the wire end that connects directly to the 9 volt snap-on battery clip:
A.) use powers and drain the battery
B.) heat up the electromagnet (wire & core)
If the electromagnet heats up, then how hot does it get? Just warm or really warm? Could it reach hot or HOT levels - hot enough to burn skin, damage any part of the electromagnet, or ignite/melt the carpet (if it was on it)?
P.S. The final device would have no exposed wires.