Author Options:

borax, boric acid, flux Answered

Does anybody know the relationship of borax and boric acid? Are they different forms of the same thing? Are they related at all? What if any do these have in relationships to flux to silver smithing. (I think the flux is Boric Acid but I am not sure.) I have a box of Borax, that I use to make liquid laundry soap. - I also used it to make crystal snow flakes - beautiful. Just curous.


The forums are retiring in 2021 and are now closed for new topics and comments.

7 years ago

Stuff works excellent ( tiny quantities ) for ear infections. Just a small dusting on a q-tip and insert.


12 years ago

Roach Pruf contains boric acid....and is used for many things including eye wash (Boric acid, also called boracic acid or orthoboric acid or Acidum Boricum, is a weak acid often used as an antiseptic, insecticide, flame retardant, in nuclear power plants to control the fission rate of uranium, and as a precursor of other chemical compounds. It exists in the form of colorless crystals or a white powder and dissolves in water. It has the chemical formula H3BO3, sometimes written B(OH)3. When occurring as a mineral, it is called sassolite.)

Although considered toxic, it is considered about as toxic as table salt, if taken internally (try not to inhale it though).

Further information can be found at the link Kiteman supplied, namely... :-)

Borax, on the other hand, is also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate, is an important boron compound, a mineral, and a salt of boric acid. It is usually a white powder consisting of soft colorless crystals that dissolve easily in water.

Although not considered toxic Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, (it is not acutely toxic) its LD50 (median lethal dose) score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats, this does not mean that it is safe, merely that a significant dose of the chemical is needed to cause severe symptoms or death. (Note that the median lethal dose for humans tends to differ for a given compound from that of rats.) Simple exposure can cause respiratory and skin irritation.