Author Options:

ganged SPST? Answered


according to the circuit diagram posted in the link.
the SPST switch must be ganged with P1.
how should i do it?
what does the word "ganged" mean?



Best Answer 7 years ago

SW1 is an on/off switch that is physically attached to P1 (potentiometer/variable resistor - used as a volume control in this circuit). An example would be like an old transistor radio where the on/off switch was also the volume switch.

You can use a separate switch and volume control with this circuit.
'Ganged' means that they are physically connected and work together. A combined on/off/volume control is just simply convenient.


Answer 7 years ago

in the component list provided SW1 is a SPST switch and P1 is a potentiometer.
how should i put it, such that SW1 is ganged with P1?


Answer 7 years ago

Fabricating a 'switch/pot' isn't all that simple. You would have to buy one or find an old usable unit. Making sure that its potentiometer is the correct resistance for the circuit - refer to parts list. This circuit is an audio circuit and the potentiometer is a volume control, it would an audio taper potentiometer and not linear. Not that it really matters. The difficulty is that 'switch/pots' are getting harder to find. Some specialist suppliers may have suitable units - such as guitar amp (tube type) parts suppliers. Just hunt around and you will find a suitable unit.


7 years ago

Most any electronic supplier that supplies parts for radios and amps will carry them. Mouser, Frys even Radio shack still has a few.

But you could just use a separate pot and switch.  The only thing wrong with that is when you turn it on it will be at the volume level set by the pot.