81Views5Replies

Author Options:

how to avoid damage to ground from trashing fruits ? Answered

we have a grapes tree in our garden. the grapes are at their peak now (if left on the tree they will begin to spoil) the grapes are salty like hell and not edible but perhaps can be used to make some jam or something else parents say trash them - no time to bother making the jam + dont know any friends who do either i see a problem with it - trashing them means trashing the minerals from our garden ground. won't it degrade the ground ability to grow stuff ? how to avoid it ? or does trashing them actually help remove excess salt from the ground ? (is the problem with the ground or with the tree itself ?)

Discussions

0
None
grundisimo

10 years ago

you could possibly sell them them to someone who makes their own wine.

0
None
orksecurity

10 years ago

Grape _tree_? Most grapes I know are vines. "Salty" also sounds suspicious. If they aren't actually grapes, or if they've been sprayed with something, they may not be edible. Make sure you know what you're dealing with before you try eating it. They won't damage the ground. By definition, anything that's in the fruit came out of the ground to begin with. So you can leave them there to rot. Or, if you want to be more organized (and avoid possibly-unwanted seedlings sprouting up), you can put them in a compost pile and eventually scatter the compost where it's needed; that also has the advantage of being less likely to attract unwanted critters and insects than fermenting fruit would be. Or -- again, assuming that these really are grapes -- you can do something with them, then apply fertilizer to make up for what you've removed if you feel the need. Again, you want to know what you're dealing with, since different plants want different mixtures of nutrients, different soil pH, and so on.

0
None
rickharris

10 years ago

Salty grapes? Do you mean sour. How about making wine? Not all grapes are eating grapes (desert grapes) most varieties are grown to make wine or as ornaments. Personally I hate to see anything wasted and a litle time spent on jam making or wine making will be amply repaid.

0
None
trf

10 years ago

Its not really a problem if u remove them. Just add a little fertilizer to make up for it. Otherwise just let them fall and they will decay back into natural fertilizer.