Introduction: How to Make an Awesome Night Light (but It Doesn't Last Too Long)
this will show you how to make an awesome night light using a laser, wax, and a light bulb.
Step 1: Materials & Tools
the materials you will need are:
-a light bulb
-a laser pointer (can be green or red)
tools you will need:
-needle nosed pliers
-an exacto knife
-safety goggles (glass occasionally flies when shattered)
-an old sock
Step 2: Hollowing Out the Bulb
i got the the ideas and pictures on this step from CYNICALifornia
PUT ON EYE PROTECTION!!!!
- Using your exacto knife or screw driver, pry up the metal disk on the bottom of the bulb.
- Use needle nosed pliers to pull it off.
Move outside! there will be shattered glass!
- take off the black glass that the metal disk was attached to. use pliers to chip/break it.
-Holding the bulb use the screwdriver to break the glass, and use the tweezers to pull it out.
- Use the screwdriver as a chisel once again and break the glass that holds the filament in place inside the bulb.
- Use your tweezers to break up pieces too big to fall out of the hole but simply squeezing them.
Step 3: Cleaning the Inside of the Bulb
-use a toothbrush and brush the inside of the bulb while still dry
-fill the bulb with water, and continue scrubbing until the bulb is completely clear
Step 4: Filling It With Wax
-dry the inside of the bulb with a hot air dryer
-melt enough wax to fill the lightbulb, and use a funnel to fill the light bulb
-let it cool
Step 5: Breaking the Glass
-put on protective gloves... glass can hurt! also, lay down newspaper (glass will get everywhere otherwise)
-take a small hammer, and lightly tap on the glass
-once it cracks, remove the pieces, making sure that there aren't any left in the wax
Step 6: Hollowing Out the Wax
now, use a small tool (screwdrivers work well) to hollow out the inside of the wax bulb. hake it wide enough so a laser can fit in it.
Step 7: Turn It on in the Dark
fit the laser into the hollow, and turn it on! the result should be a strange pixelated light, that works especially well in the dark.
Participated in the
Let It Glow!