These rich salty flaky pastries called čvarkuše are a traditional drinking snack recipe from Croatia and is the perfect pair to a cold beer.
Step 1: Ingredients:
Step 2: Procedure:
- Crush the yeast into the milk and the sugar and leave to rise.
- Put the flour in a large bowl, make a hole in the middle, add salt and put the yeast mixture inside.
- Knead well until everything is incorporated adding a bit more milk if needed. Add the wine, the egg, the lard and the cracklings (or butter and ham if using).
- Knead until the dough is elastic and soft. Let rest for half an hour covered with a damp towel. Knead three times more with half hour intervals for resting in between.
- Roll out the dough and cut with a floured round cookie cutter. Make sure you do not twist it, just lift the cutter up and press the dough out.
- Arrange the Čvarkuše in a baking tray. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of the scone with beaten egg yolk.
- Bake in a 200 o C preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the Čvarkuše turned golden brown. Enjoy!
The perfect pair to a cold beer recipe from Mediterranean, don't forget to share this.