Build a lamp using only trash and a budget of $1.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: COLLECTING MATERIALS
The building of this lamp will require access to:
- drill press
- razor saw
Now, please collect from your local dumpster:
- shipping core plug
- white rod things (see picture)
- plastic sheet
- wood dowel
- screw (any size)
- tracing paper
And at your local dollar store:
- Christmas lights (thus exhausting our $1 budget)
Finally, procure these items from home:
- glue stick
- hot glue gun
- masking tape
Step 2: PREPARING LAMP COVER
1) Trace the core plug disc to create 2 circles.
2) Cut along the outer circle and make slits to the inner circle spaced about 2 inches apart.
3) Glue the slits together to create the lampshade.
4) Attach it to the core plug tube with scraps of paper and glue.
Step 3: CONSTRUCTING LAMP STAND
1) Cut plastic rods into 13.5", 8", 4.5", and 3.5" length pieces.
2) Use the drill press and drill holes 1/2" in at every end of the 13.5", 4.5", and 3.5" pieces.
2) Use razor saw to cut the 8" piece down the middle as pictured. Cut the connecting portion and glue back together.
Step 4: CONSTRUCTING LAMP SHADE
1) Tape the lights like so.
2) Drill holes 180 degrees apart using the drill press.
3) Use screw to secure lamp shade to the lamp stand. Use hot glue to hold in place.
Step 5: PUTTING IT TOGETHER
1) Insert dowels into the holes in the plastic rods. Use glue to hold in place.
2) Assemble the lamp using hot glue. Use the picture of the final lamp as reference.
Step 6: FINISHED PRODUCT