Introduction: 1200 Watt Electric Blower
Convert a vacuum cleaner motor into an air blower.
Bernoulli ball tricks
Flame throwing (to be added later)
And more probably...
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Parts List
One redundant vacuum cleaner
One aluminium lamp shade
Nuts and bolts
3-core mains cable
Resin for glass-fibre
Various ad-hoc bits and pieces
Step 2: The Clockwork
The vac' broke.
The front-end beater & brush assembly failed and the drive-belt snapped.
The vac was replaced.
So I had a spare electric air-pump. The machine was deigned for sucking, the blow just went to waste. Trying to block-up the exhaust vents and divert the output wasn't much good because the case was leaky. Also I'd got a big redundant bag-space and handle.
I took the whole thing apart and stripped out the essentials.
I'm not going to tell you how to take a vac' apart any more than: use a screwdriver and break things.
So I extracted the motor and fan unit, plus the TRIAC speed control, on-off switch and the variable resistor which links into the TRIAC.
Step 3: The Motor
The motor sucks air in the back, and vents it out the front.
Depending upon your perspectve, this either cools the motor or heats the air.
It's a friction-fit, with a rubber band. I needed a new case, and after a few weeks patience found the aluminium lampshade.
I've added 90' angle-brackets to space the motor from the metal-case, but there's still the friction-fit.
The motor was bulked-up with double-sided foam pads and tape, finished with the original rubber band.
A tight-fit, requiring much pushing and finger-work but just right.
Step 4: Rear-end Casing
The friction-fit worked, and the motor could be securely crammed into the aluminium case.
But I needed an ad-hoc air-filter and somewhere to mount the controls.
Mirroring the front-end, I made a resin case using the aluminium shell as a mould / former.
A piece of T-shirt was wrapped and soaked in resin, using the minimum of hardener. This meant that the shell took a long time to set, but remained fairly soft for peeling-away. If I'd used more hardener to produce a crispier-shell it may well have cracked when peeling-off. One hacksaw cut and a blunt knife removed this quite easily (looks nasty because I added tissue to absorb stickyness)
The shell was re-applied to the lamp-shade and a T-shirt sleeve added over the top, more resin, more hardener = hard shell
A bit of cutting and sanding and I had something nice
For the air-filter I used the other sleeve, gathered-up and secured in place with more resin. folding the seams over gives strength.
I am certain that I took photos of the air filter, but I can't seem to find them. Hope you're smart enough to work it out from what's here...
Step 5: Electrics
I mounted all the electrics on the resin shell, a bit of drilling and screwing and they were assembled nicely.
I used the two terminal block connectors to secure the variable resistor, and backed-up with some epoxy glue
This was to some extent a trial and error business with trials of a lot of screws.
(see annotated pictures)
Step 6: Final Assembly
The mains cable is already in place, but beforehand I fashioned an earth connector for the aluminium case. This is to obviate anyone pointing to risks of electrocution, because If I thought that the shell would become live I wouldn't have built it in this way (it shouldn't be necessary, just a precaution)
I've also sprayed the case with metallic paint
The resin rear-end portion is a simple friction-fit, and required a fair-amount of whacking to force on. Still it's not going to come off easily...
Step 7: Done
A few bag-straps, and you're in business.
Here I've attached the original vac' tube, but I have plans for a flame-thrower...
I tried photos with this on me, but they didn't show it off as well as this one.