Intro: 15 Minute Christmas Swag
Shopping for a Christmas wreath today, I found that they already looked tired and over the hill. I resolved to make my own door swag, which would be fresher, more unique and cheaper than what I could buy.
Step 1: Materials
Gather evergreens & berries. These could include:
- Cedar, redwood, juniper or pine boughs
- Juniper berries
- Pyracantha or toyon berries
- String, scissors, needle, coarse thread
- Ribbon (medium to wide)
Step 2: Tie It Up
- Arrange the boughs stem ends at the top, the longest at the back, berries and shorter boughs in the front.
- Tie at the top with string, raffia, wire or florist tape.
- Run a loop of string (or double loop of button & carpet thread) through the back of the tied string, making sure it is long enough (and strong enough) to hang from your chosen location.
- Tie the top with medium to wide ribbon of your choice, covering the string.
- Fill in any gaps with small berry clusters or greens.
Step 3: Finished
Hang from the door, and you're all set. You can tuck a small berry cluster or piece of holly at the top to hide the bare stems. If you like, change the ribbon for another color. I did!