- 2 Large Brown Eggs
- 1 oz Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded or diced
- 1 oz Uncured Smoked Ham, chopped or diced
- 1 Green Onion with top, finely sliced
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric (not essential, but it adds more color to the eggs)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Chipotle (optional, of course)
- 1 tsp (more or less) Garlic Powder (also optional)
- Coarse Ground Pepper too taste and a couple of dashes of Sea Salt
Step 1: DIRECTIONS
- Lightly spray an *8" Non-stck Omelette Pan with Olive Oil Cooking Spray and pre-heat over medium low heat
- While the pan is heating, separate the eggs, placing the whites in one small bowl and the yolks in another.
- Slice, Shred, or Dice the Cheese, Ham, and Green Onion and set aside
- Add 1 TBS cold water and the Turmeric to the egg yolks and whisk or beat until extremely well blended.
- Beat or whisk the egg whites vigorously until they are foamy and have increased in volume, then carefully fold them into the bowl with the egg yolks. Pour the mixture into the heated omelette pan, sprinkle seasonings over the top, and cover with a lid (I like to use a glass lid so I can monitor the cooking omelette).
- Allow the omelette to "steam" for about 10 - 12 minutes, periodically removing the lid and carefully swirling the pan in a way that causes any of the liquid mixture that has accumulated on top of the cooking omelette to run to the sides.
- When the omelette is almost solidified, spread the mixture of ham, cheese, and green onion over 1/2 of it; then, using a curved rubber spatula, gently loosen the sides of the omelette from the pan and fold the clear side over the filling.
- Ease the folded omelette into the center of the pan and cover once again with the lid. Allow the omelette to continue to cook over medium low heat for a few minutes, or just until you an see melted cheese around the edges.
- Ease the folded omelette into a serving dish and enjoy!
Step 2: COMMENTS
*As regards an 8" non-stick omelette pan. I have ruined every omelette pan that I have ever owned by eventually cooking food in it a high temperature, and/or by scratching the pan's surface with metal or wooden tools. I am now using a new 8" Calphalon Ceramic Non-stick Omelette Pan. It works so well that all I have to do once the omelette has been removed is to wipe the pan clean with a piece of paper towel and rinse it off with some warm soapy water.
This omelette may obviously be eaten for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner, and is great when accompanied by a slice of toast covered with a couple of tablespoons of 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese and a TBS of your favorite jam or jelly.
Step 3: NUTRITION
Total Estimated Calories for this recipe is 294, plus10 carbs.
By adding one slice of toasted Ezekiel Bread, 2 TBS of 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese, and 1 TBS of Red Currant Jelly, I have added another 200 calories and 31 carbs to the meal.
(As I mentioned on the Orangeboard, I only count calories and carbs; the food that I eat is generally healthy, low in fat, sodium, and sugar, and high in protein. If you wish to know more about the nutrition of any recipe that I post I am confident that you can obtain more information onlilne).