Intro: 21 W Led Bulb (1450 Lumens)
I wanted a high output LED bulb for use in an exterior motion detector lamp. The high efficiency bulbs are no good as they take time to warm up, and the LED bulbs available are too low output. Normal bulbs consume a lot, and need to be replaced often. So I decided to make one. The leds should last 100,000 hrs. I am guessing that the transformer will go out first.
-230 VAC - 12 VDC transformer
-LED ribbon (I used 1.8m of SMD 5050: 12W and 800 lumens /meter)
-Empty beverage can
1) Make sure can is not too big to fit into enclosure (also remember that the led strip will add about 5 mm to the diameter)
2) Cut off top of can, and put some electrical tape on cut edge, as it is sharp and can cut)
3) Drill a hol at the bottom of the can (want to let the condensation moisture be able to escape.
3) Solder output of transformer to led ribbon cable lead
4) Starting at bottom, remove back side cover (to expose sticky part) and coil the led strip around the can. You might first want to try doing it with the protective shield still on.
5) Add some silicone glue (I use FBS) to both ends of the strip. Apply generously, use some tape to secure the piece in place while it cures overnight.
6) Remove tape and Voila!