The Smart Home market can be intimidating, particularly if you’re just starting out and are unsure of what you’re doing. Never fear, we’ve compiled this simple 'how to' for 3 smart home basics:
- How to set-up and use a smart plug
- How to set-up and use a smart light bulb
- How to connect Alexa to Spotify
As you’ll see, these are all easy to do but have impressive results.
For this tutorial, you will need:
- Smart plug - these are quite expensive on the high street, but we found these cheap (and perfectly good!) ones on Amazon for a third of the usual price - https://amzn.to/2VxPEbU
- Smart light bulb - check the fixture of the lamp you want to use so you buy the correct size - https://amzn.to/2EPTx6C
- Amazon Alexa - https://amzn.to/2VK6CnF
- A phone - the apps required are available on Apple and Android devices. However, the Amazon Alexa app is not available on Windows Phone
Step 1: Getting Set Up
Before you can start setting up your smart home, there's some essential preparation you need to do.
1.1. Download the Tuya and Alexa apps and make an account on both
1.2. Open the Alexa app and enable Tuya as an Alexa Skill. You can do this by searching for 'Tuya' on the ‘skills and games’ page
1.3. Connect the Alexa app to your Tuya account by logging in when prompted
Step 2: Setting Up a Smart Plug
2.1. Open the Tuya app
2.2. Click ‘add new device’ and select ‘electrical outlet’
2.3. Put the plug in set-up mode by plugging it in, leaving it for 10 seconds, unplugging it, plugging it back it and pressing the reset switch on the front. The LED should blink rapidly
2.4. On the Tuya app, click to confirm that the LED is blinking and follow the steps on the app, inputting your WiFi details when asked
2.5. Give your new device a name - this is what you will ask Alexa to turn on and off
Step 3: Setting Up a Smart Lightbulb
3.1. Put the light bulb into the device you want to use it in
3.2. Open the Tuya app
3.3. Click ‘add new device’ and select ‘lighting device’
3.4. Put it into set-up mode by turning in on for 10 seconds, off, on, off, on, off and on. The light should blink rapidly
3.5. On the Tuya app, click to confirm that the LED is blinking and follow the steps on the app, inputting your WiFi details when asked
3.6. Give your new device a name - this is what you will ask Alexa to turn on and off
Step 4: Connecting Amazon Alexa to Spotify
4.1. Open the Alexa app
4.2. Go to ‘settings’ and click ‘music’
4.3. Click on the Spotify option
4.4. Log into Spotify when prompted and you're ready to go! Try saying 'Alexa, resume Spotify'
Step 5: See, Told You It Was Easy!
Although these are three basic smart home skills, don't underestimate how cool they are. After a week of never having to turn on a light by hand, you'll be hooked on the smart home lifestyle!