Introduction: 3-Step Crostini
Crostini means “little toasts” in Italian. They are very simple to prepare, and usually consist of baked or grilled bread topped with a variety of cheeses, meats, vegetables, and herbs. Crostini are perfect for breakfast, appetizers, an afternoon snack, and even dessert, depending on which ingredients you choose. Here are 3 easy steps for making crostini, as well as some topping suggestions.
1. Choose a crusty bread and slice.
2. Coat the slices with olive oil and grill or bake until crispy. Add garlic and spices for richer flavors.
• Olive oil or butter
• Basil, Paprika (savory crostini)
• Cinnamon, Nutmeg (sweet crostini)
3. Top hot bread with desired combination of ingredients. Heat in the oven if desired, and serve.
• Cheese (such as Blue, Brie, Havarti, Weissbier, Mozzarella, Ricotta)
• Prosciutto and Fig
• Bacon and Blue Cheese
• Artichoke and Olive
• Almond, Bacon, and Cheese
• Blue Brie, Basil and Tomato
• Smoked Salmon and Dill Havarti
• Roasted Tomato
• Almond Butter and Pine Nut
• Strawberry, Brie, Honey and Basil
• Honey and Walnut
Our current favorite recipe is our Weissbier Cheese and Bacon Crostini. Weissbier is very buttery and tastes faintly of Bavarian Weissbier, so it is a very savory cheese perfect for pairing with bacon. Check out the recipe here.
In the fall, we also love to make this roasted pear and blue cheese crostini. You may want to toast the bread before topping it, as per our instructions above.
Making crostini is lots of fun – leave us a comment and tell us which flavor combinations you like the best!