Intro: 3 Vegetarian Summer Salads (GF) (20g Protein)
1. Nacho salad
2. Carrot salad
3. Chickpea salad
Perfect for hot summer days when you want a colourful and healthy meal that's easy to make and delicious to eat!
If you like this video and any (or all three!) of the recipes, it'd be super cool if you could subscribe to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Darnyouglutenfood
Thank you, have a nice summer :)
Step 1: Nacho Salad
1. Start by placing the sweet corn in a mixing bowl. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and add to the mixing bowl. Using scissors, you can add the spring onion. Peel and dice the red onion before adding it to the colourful mélange. Remove the white and the seeds from the red bell pepper then dice it into pieces and add to the bowl. And finally, cut the cucumber into small pieces, toss it into the bowl and mix all the ingredients together.
2. Pour the olive oil into a frying pan, add the paprika and heat up. Add the red kidney beans, the tomato paste and a dash of water (to loosen the purée). Stir on a high heat for a couple of minutes, until the water has evaporated and the kidney beans are coated in the tomato sauce.
Once that's done you can leave the beans to one side to cool slightly.
3. Now place the green peas into mortar and start muddling them into a paste with your pestle. Once they have been thoroughly crushed you can add in the half avocado. Grind the two ingredients together until a thick, sort of smooth paste forms. If you want something super smooth you'd probably be best using a little food processor.
4. All that's left to do is to combine all the parts together in a large, and I mean large, bowl. Pour the veges in, top with the beans and 'smashed peas and avocado' - then grate the mature cheddar on top, as finely as you wish.
And there's our first vegetarian salad; a huge nacho flavoured, extremely colourful bowl of deliciousness.
Step 2: Carrot Salad
1. Start by peeling the carrots. Then grate them finely. If you have a machine to do this then it might be a good idea to use that if you're making this for a lot of people... if not, it really doesn't take that long to grate the carrots. Place the carrots in a bowl.
Add the shelled sunflower seeds to the bowl, as well as the 10 cashews. Then you can pit the dates, if they are not already pitted, and slice them into little pieces before adding them to the carrots. Finally, slice the cherry tomatoes in half and add them to the rest of the ingredients. Place this bowl in the fridge whilst you prepare the courgette so that the flavours can develop.
2. I'm using courgette from my garden, so the skin is a bit tough and I won't be using it, but normally I would incorporate it into the salad anyway. So it's up to you whether or not you use it. Grate the courgette using a larger sized grate than you did for the carrot. Then mix it in with the rest of the salad. And that is it.
Step 3: Chickpea Salad
1. Start by placing the chickpeas in a zip-lock bag with the olive oil, paprika, garlic powder and salt. Shake together and make sure all the chickpeas are coated with the mixture. Then spread them out onto a lined oven tray. Place in a an oven that has been pre-heated to 180°C (350F) for 30-40 minutes - or until crunchy.
2. Whilst your chickpeas are roasting you can prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Rinse the spinach and place in your serving bowl. You can also chop the spinach up and mix it in with the other things.
Peel and dice the red onion into small pieces then toss into a large mixing bowl. Slice the red bell pepper then cut it into small chunks and add to the bowl, and don't forget to add the sweet corn too.
3. Once the chickpeas are ready, you can add them to the mixing bowl and mix them in. Then crumble 2/3 of the feta cheese into the mixing bowl, as well as on top of the spinach. Then pour your mix over the spinach and feta mix and top with the last of the feta.
You're done and ready to eat this super yummy dish!