Here is a small and simple article explaining how to make a "3D sticker" to stick to your laptop. It is a remix of the famous macbook decals (my favorites are this one and this one), but made with a 3D printer! The 3D shapes give something more to the design, and it looks really good. As an example, the nose of the Cheshire cat is a bit elevated compare to the rest of the face.
It's been a while that I wanted to use the glowing apple of my macbook with a funny design, and I wanted to make it myself. Now that I own a 3D printer, I decided that it was time, and I choose to try it with the Cheshire cat and make his eyes glow thanks to the apple.
For this project I have used Fusion 360 to design the piece (but you can download the file if you don't want to make a new design), a 3D printer to print it (if you don't have one you can still order on websites such as Shapeways) and double sided tape to stick it.
Step 1: Designing
I have designed it with Fusion 360.
- First I choose the picture on the internet, and loaded it in Fusion 360 (click "Attached canvas").
- Then I created a new sketch on the picture, and made the silhouette of the cat's face with the tool "spline". I have also made the nose, the eyes and the teeth. Notice that I have changed the pupils so the cat looks at his right.
- Then I extruded the face (2mm), and the nose (4mm).
- And I've added fillets to the nose edges.
- I've loaded the apple, and I've scaled it to the same size of the one on my macbook.
- And to finish I have scaled the cat so the apple is completely hidden, and just the eyes are going to glow.
You can download the file here.
Step 2: Printing
I have printed it with black PLA, with 0.1mm resolution, 20% infill and 50mm/s speed.
Without raft nor support.
Step 3: Sticking
Now that the 3D sticker is ready, the last step is to stick it to the laptop.
- So I have used double sided tape and a pair of scissors to cut the tape.
- I've added few pieces of tape on the back side of the cat.
- Then I've stuck it on the apple!
Step 4: Glowing
It is finished! Now the Cheshire cat will keep a glowing eye on your laptop forever!