These step-by-step instructions will guide you through the basics of creating a Coffee Cup Animal Decoration using Tinkercad and preparing it for 3D printing. Add a little tail and it can serve as a tea bag holder as well!
Tinkercad is a free web based CAD program: www.tinkercad.com
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Create the Cup Clip
1. Under the Community tab on the right hand toolbar, click and drag a “Circular Trapezoid” shape onto the
2. Adjust the measurements as so:
Top Radius: 3mm
Bottom Radius: 3mm
3. Change the height (by clicking on the white box on the top-side of the shape) of the Circular Trapezoid to 5mm.
4. While the Circular Trapezoid is selected, click the “hole” button in the top right corner (under Inspector), to convert our new shape into a hole.
Step 2: Create the Cup Clip (cont.)
5. Under the “Geometric” tab on the right hand side, click and drag a “Box” shape onto the workplane .
6. Change the dimensions of the box so that it measures 10mm x 25mm. Adjust the height of the box to 5mm.
7. We now need to align the hole with the box. Select both the hole and colored stars (as shown) and click Adjust-->Align…When prompted with the align tool, select the black dot in the center of the y axis (as shown in red) to align the hole.
Step 3: Design Your Animal!
8. Now’s the fun part, where you can create your own animal or shape. Here is an example of how you can make a bunny out of a Half Sphere and the Bunny Ears.
Step 4: Printing Your Design
9. When you are ready to laser cut your file, under “Design” select “Download for 3D Printing.
10. Save your file as a .STL
11. Convert the file using Autodesk Print Studio, or your printer’s software.
12. Print your design!