- In this instructable I want to show you how you can print a Toy Car or any other model from MyMinifactory using SelfCAD.
- MyMinifactory is a website where designers can upload their ready to print 3D models and users can download them for free. SelfCAD has already partnered with MyMinifactory, hence you can download and print models from this site easily and modify them using SelfCAD.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Creating SelfCAD and Myminifactory Accounts
- To download the models from Myminifactory and work on them in SelfCAD you need to have SelfCAD and Myminifactory accounts. It's quite simple.
- Visit www.selfcad.com to create a 30 day free SelfCAD account (And later on $9.99/m after the trial period is over) and you will have a privilege of creating and printing unlimited models.
- After creating SelfCAD account, login and launch the editor.
- After logging in SelfCAD, you need now to create a Myminifactory account. You can do this by clicking on the Myminifactory button found on top of your right hand side in the SelfCAD text editor.
- After creating the account, click connect and login to your account.
Step 2: Selecting the Model
- After logging in we need now to select our model. Click the Browse tab or you can search for them.
- Select Toys and Games and then Toy Vehicles.
- Then select the model and upload it to the scene as shown above.
Step 3: Modifying the Model
- We want now to scale the model. So, to do this, select Scale and follow the video above to see more details.
Step 4: Printing the Model
- Select all the objects now and group them. You can do that by either pressing CTRL+G or by clicking Group and add in the drop down menu.
- In the File Tab, select print. Then choose the printer that you are going to use. In our case we used Ultimaker2. After selecting the printer, set the layer height to 0.3.
- After that click the settings icon found on the top part. In the Printhead settings set the Nozzle size to 0.8 and click save changes (Check the 3rd picture above if you can't see it).
- After saving the changes, select the material that you are going to use when printing. In our case when used PLA, Ultimaker, Ultimaker B.V.,Red.
- In the Support tab ensure that the checkbox for Generate Support selected and the Build plate Adhesion type in the Build Plate Adhesion is set to Skirt. Leave the other settings to their default and click Generate GCode.
- When done view it. You can check how the layers are arranged in the model in the last picture above. The toy car model is ready now for printing. Simply Save GCode and download it. It's just as simple as that.
Participated in the