Since the chicken is my favourite animal I made this 3D chicken myself.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
As the basic shape I used this Illustrator made chicken. I imported this file in Rhincceros. The size is 4x3cm.
After importing the chicken in Rhino, I rotated the top so the chicken was standing.
I made curves from the top to the bottom.
Mirror the side and place it next to the first side.
After mirroring, loft the curvesides seperately:
1. Select one curveside, click on ‘surface’> ‘loft’ > ‘ok’.
2. Do this for both sides.
Step 3: Holes on the Front and Back
Loft both curvesides of the chicken. Because the chicken is build up out of curves, the front and end are still open and must be closed.
Create a surface like the red line above. Mirror this surface. Select both new surfaces and click on ‘join’. Do this also for the beak of the chicken.
Finally, select all, click on ‘surface’ and then ‘loft’ then just ‘ok’.
Now the chicken is just 1 part and ready to print with Cura.
Step 4: Ultimaker - First Printing
The first print with the ultimaker failed, because the bottom of the chicken is sharp. So after 3 minutes of printing the chicken had no ground to lean on. I had selected to add supportmaterial, but Cura ‘thought’ it could print the chicken without adding material.
To avoid that problem, I rotated the chicken in Cura 45 degrees, so I was sure Cura would add supportmaterial. I used all the time the same settings.
Layer height: 0,1mm
Shell thickness: 0,8mm
Enable retraction: on
Bottom/Top thickness: 0,8mm
Fill Density: 25%
Print speed: 80mm/s
Printing temperature: 230degrees
Support type: everywhere
Platform adhesion type: none
Step 5: Ultimaker - Second Printing
This first print failed. The problem was that the head of the chicken was too small. The filament is compared to the head too thick so it couldn’t make the head properly and there was to much material. It had melt.
Step 6: Ultimaker - Third Printing
I made the chicken twice as big, so the head would be big enought to print properly.
Scale X: was 1.0, I made it 2.0
Scale Y: was 1.0, I made it 2.0
Scale Z: was 1.0, I made it 2.0
Now it was twice as big. The chicken is still rotated 45 degrees with the same Cura settings.
The printing took 1,5hours and went fine. The head was printed perfectly.
On one side was a lot of support material, I removed this by breaking it with a little force and a sharp knife.