Intro: How to Make 3D Printed Portal Gun
In this instructable I will be showing you how to make a 3D portal gun and an animation to go with it.
Things you need:
16 guage hardware wire
20 guage hardware wire
Thing plastic sheet
hot glue gun with hot glue sticks
- First download and open this model in a 3D modeling program ( I do not own this model ) http://grabcad.com/library/portal-gun
- Make the model 6" large, Disconnect the shell, and handle from the gun and delete the Core,Wires, Claws, and the small bit on the top of the gun (If you can print the whole gun with no trouble then go ahead)
- Make a 6x6x6 inch box in the center point of your 3d program. Save the project as anything.
- Delete the gun base and handle then place the shells inside the box. Save as an stl file with a different name.
- Open up your shell in your 3D printing program and center it, then print it.
- Do step 4 and 5 again, but now delete the shell and place the gun handle and gun base in the box.
- Now that all those peices have been printed. Take your gun base and handle and glue the handle in its designated place with epoxy glue. After it has dried go over the glued spot with hot glue. (do this for any glued peices)
- After your base and handle is fully glued together place clay on the circular part at the bottom of the gun, then lay it down on some newspaper on a flat surface and spray paint the whole gun base and handle with black spray paint. Do a second coat.
- After it has dried, take some grey modeling clay and mold it into a 1 1/4" x 1/4" cylinder and place it into the core space. Remove the clay peice that was put on the circular part.
- Now glue the shell parts to their apropriate locations.
- Cut off the pointed bit of 3 toothpicks and spray paint them black
- Cut each toothpick into 1/8" peices
- glue the 1/8" tooth pick peices on the positions shown in the picture
- Cut off 4 peices of 1 1/16" of 20 guage hardware wire
- Spray paint those 1 1/16 peices of 20 guage hardware wire black
- Once they have dried then glue then bend them into a U shape and glue 2 on each tooth (shown in picture)
- cut 3 peices of 2 1/4" of 16 guage hardware wire, spraypaint them black
- Glue the 3 cut and painted peices of 16 guage hardware wire and glue them to the wire sockets shown in the picture
- Cut 3 claw shapes out of a thin plastic sheet and spray paint them black (shape shown in picture)
- (Optional) You can add a glaze to it by spreading epoxy all over the outer part of the shells, you could also print out designs or logo's and glue them onto the shell.
- Once the paint has dried on the claws then glue them in the locations shown in the picture.
This is what the finish product looks like