In this instructable, I will share how I made this 3D painting of a Lighthouse using cardboard.
Now such paintings are really popular these days, which are made out of wood. To build a this in wood, means investment in a scroll saw, which I do not have.
So I used cardboard from old shoe box to make one. This takes about 3 hrs to make, based on how detailed you wanted it to be.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What Do We Need?
- 4"x 6" Wooden Photo frame : You could use an old or buy a new one
- Shoe Box cardboard : it is thin and very strong
- PVA Glue or Fevicol
- Cutter / Scissors
- Acrylic Paints and brushes
Step 2: Draw Your Landscape
- So before we begin, based on the frame size, we need to draw the landscape we want to make
- Take note on the frame edges where the picture will not be visible
- Our main object should not hide at the edges
- The main purpose of this is to visualize and adjust anything before we start
Step 3: Cut Them Out
- Draw just one layer at a time and cut it
- Place the next layer under this layer and draw an outline
- Now draw the next layer outline, that falls within the previous layer's outline
- Continue till we have all layer and our main object : the lighthouse
- Once every thing is cut, place all layers in sequence as shown
- If you not happy with any layer, please adjust them
Step 4: Paint Them
- Since my inspiration was from a wooden 3d Painting with different types of wood
- I used different brown shaded to paint the layers
- Added extra layers for door and windows
- I did not paint the areas that will be covered by the next layer
- Let all dry for 30 Minutes
Step 5: Assembly
- Start with the bottom layer and glue the next layer
- One by one stick them all
- You may have to adjust the top 3 / 4 layers to make the main object distinctive
- Now the painting on a wall or place it on your desk and admire
- One can protect the painting using clear coat or varnish spray
- Or cover the frame with a thin transparent PVC sheet
- Add more details like birds etc