In this instructable, I am going to show you 5 days lunch/dinner Indian recipes, which are healthy and from different states and cities in India.
List is as follows :
1. Rajasthani Gatta Curry : Rajasthani Gatta Curry is a lip-smacking, traditional Rajasthani dish. Gatte are steamed gram flour dumplings cooked in a spicy yogurt and gram flour gravy. If you ever visit any city in Rajasthan, you must try the authentic Gatte ki sabzi.
2. Dry Eddo in Fries Style : Here I am going to show you the way I make eddoes so that they would not get sticky and kids gonna think, it is fries. So that, they can eat this dish easily.
3. Kadhai Paneer - Semi Thick Gravy : Kadhai Paneer Gravy is a mouth-watering recipe made from paneer cooked in a spicy gravy made of onions, tomatoes, capsicum and traditional Indian spices. It is one of the most popular Indian curries and cooked throughout the world. This irresistible aromatic dish is easy to cook and served as an entree in most restaurants and dhabas. Kadhai Paneer can be enjoyed with roti/chapati, plain parantha, naan or flavored rice like Jeera rice or Pulao. Paneer is used in making many different delicacies in Indian Cuisine and Kadhai Paneer is the most popular of them.
4. Black Eyed Beans Curry : Black eyed beans, also known as cow peas are a very tastyvariety of beans. Also called as lobia or chawli in Hindi, it has its own characteristic flavor that becomes even better when you make Indian-style curry with it using the typical Indian spices. This black eyed beans curry recipe is a crowd pleaser. It might be a humble dish, but incredibly flavorful. Take my word when I say that this is the best lobia curry ever! You can make this Punjabi style lobia curry when you have your vegetarian friends over for lunch and they would love it. Those who are calorie conscious can have this chawli ki sabji with whole wheat rotis or jowar/bajra rotis. Personally, I feel that it tastes best with plain white rice.
5. Dal Makhani : Dal Makhani is a popular North Indian dish (especially in Delhi & Punjab). The primary ingredients in dal makhani are whole black lentil with red kidney beans, cream and butter. In it whole black lentils and kidney beans are soaked in water overnight and then boiled and simmered in spices and cream. It has very rich and creamy texture because of lot of butter and cream.
1. FOR RAJASTHANI GATTA CURRY ;
For the Gatte (gram flour dumplings) :
1 cup gram flour (besan)
1 tsp salt
½ tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp cumin seeds
Salt, as required
Enough water for making dough
For the Gravy :
1 cup yogurt
2 tsp gram flour
½ tsp turmeric powder
Salt, to taste
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp red chilli powder
3 tbsp oil
2. FOR DRY EDDO IN FRIES STYLE ;
Eddo – 2 cups (Cut into sticks like fries. Wash and soak in salted water for 10-15 mins Wash again and use towel to soak water from eddo sticks)
Onion – 1 (sliced)
Tomato – 2 (chopped)
Ginger & Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Asafetida – a pinch (optional)
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
Turmeric Powder – ¾ tsp
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – ¾ tsp
Coriander Powder – ¾ tsp
Garam Masala – ¾ tsp
Green Chilies – 2 (slit)
Whole Red Chilies (dry) – 2
Oil – to deep fry + 2 tbsp
3. FOR KADHAI PANEER - SEMI THICK GRAVY ;
Paneer – 350gms (cubed)
Onions – 3 (2 diced and 1 sliced)
Chopped Tomatoes – 2 cup
Green Bell Pepper – 1 (cubed)
Red Bell Pepper – 1 (cubed)
2 inch Ginger, grated
Garlic – 3 cloves (chopped)
Ginger – ½ teaspoon (crushed)
Cream – ¼ cup
Coriander seeds – 2 tablespoons
Fennel Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds – 2 tablespoons
Carom seeds – ½ teaspoon
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder – 2 tablespoon
Garam Masala – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
Bay leaf – 2
Cinnamon Stick – 1 small
Green Cardamoms – 3 to 4
Cashewnuts – 10 to 12 (soaked in water)
Crushed Kasuri Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves) - 2 Teaspoon
Salt, or to taste
Oil – as required
4. FOR BLACK EYED BEANS CURRY ;
Black-eyed beans – 1 cup, soaked overnight
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Tomato Puree – ¼ cup
Garlic – 2 cloves, finely crushed
Ginger – ½ inch piece, finely crushed
Cumin seeds – ¾ tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – ⅓ tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 3 tbsp
Water – 1 and ½ cup
5. FOR DAL MAKHANI ;
Whole Black Urad Dal – 1 cup
Rajma (Large Kidney Beans) – ¼ cup
Fresh cream , full fat - 3 tablespoons
Butter - 3 tablespoons
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Red chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder (Haldi) - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds (Jeera) - 1/2 teaspoon
Onion , finely chopped - 1
Homemade tomato puree - 1/3 cup
Ginger , grated - 1 teaspoon
Garlic – 2 cloves (finely chopped)
Garam masala powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder (Dhania) - 1 teaspoon
Salt , as required
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: FOR RAJASTHANI GATTA CURRY ;
For making gatte ;
Mix together all ingredients with and make a soft dough like a chappati dough.
Rub some oil on your palms. Divide the dough into equal parts and roll them into 1” thick cylinders, about 3”-4” long each.
In a microwave of cooktop steamer, steam the gatte for 5-7 minutes
Remove from heat and carefully open the steamer. Cut and check one of the gram flour cylinders. If it cuts easily, means they are steamed through. Once cooled, cut them into rounds of ½“ thickness. Keep aside.
For the curry ;
In a bowl, whisk together yogurt, gram flour, turmeric, red chilli powder
Add 1 cup water. Mix well and sieve through a big strainer to ensure there are no lumps.
Heat oil in a kadhai/wok. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds. Sauté for a minute.
Add the yogurt mixture and stir continuously till there is a boil.
Add the steamed gatte, cover and let the gravy simmer for 5 minutes. Add more water if the gravy is very thick.
Serve hot with roti or rice.
Step 2: FOR DRY EDDO IN FRIES STYLE ;
Heat oil in a kadhai and deep fry eddo sticks till they become
golden in color. Drain onto paper towel and keep it aside.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadhai. Add whole red chilies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafetida, ginger & garlic paste and sauté it for a minute
Add sliced onions and stir until they become translucent.
Add turmeric powder, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
Now add chopped tomatoes and green chilies. Mix well and cook it for 3 to 4 minutes
Add fried eddo sticks and mix well. Cover it with the lid and cook it for 8 to 10 minutes
Serve with Chapati or parantha
Step 3: FOR KADHAI PANEER - SEMI THICK GRAVY ;
Heat pan, add coriander seeds, fennel seeds, carom seeds, cumin seeds and dry roast them for a minute. Let it cool down to the room temperature and coarsely grind it. Transfer it into a bowl and keep it aside.
Heat 1-1/2 tablespoon oil in a pan and roast green and red bell pepper together for 2 minutes. Transfer it into a plate. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in the same pan and roast diced onions until they turn translucent. Transfer it into a plate.
Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add sliced onions, garlic, ginger and saute them for 2 to 3 minutes. Now add turmeric powder, chopped tomatoes, cashewnuts and salt. Mix well and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
Once the tomato and onion mixture cools down, transfer it into a blender and blend it into a smooth paste.
Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a wok and add bay leaf, green cardamom, cinnamon. Now add the smooth paste of tomatoes and onion. Mix well. Add Kashmiri red chilli powder, 2 tablespoons of spice mix, dry fenugreek leaves. Cover and cook it for 5 to 6 minutes. If required, add some water. Adjust the spices and salt.
Now add roasted bell pepper, roasted onion and paneer and cook it for another 2 to 3 minutes. Now add cream and stir for a minute. Switch off the flame and serve hot.
Step 4: FOR BLACK EYED BEANS CURRY ;
Pressure cook Black eyed beans for 2-3 whistles with 1-1/2 cup water till the black-eyed beans are done.
Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
Add the onion and sauté it till it turns golden.
Add the garlic and ginger. Sauté till the raw smell goes away.
Add the tomato puree and cook till the oil begins to separate.
Add the spices; turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Mix well and sauté for a few seconds.
Add the cooked black-eyed beans and cook it well along with the spices for 6-7 minutes. Sprinkle some water when the mixture gets dry. Turn off the flame and serve hot
Step 5: FOR DAL MAKHANI ;
Wash and soak black lentil and kidney beans together in enough water for at least 8 hours or for overnight.
Drain the water and wash thoroughly at least for 5 to 6 times.
In a pressure cooker, add lentil, kidney beans, turmeric powder, salt, 3-1/2 cup water, and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistle on high flame then lower the heat and let it cook for another 15 to 18 minutes.
When the cooker cools down completely, open it and check the cooked lentils should be very soft to touch. Mash it with the help of a potato masher.
Now heat a heavy bottomed pan add 2 tablespoons oil in it.
Add cumin seeds and fry them until you see them into golden brown colour. Once cumin seeds are golden brown, then add chopped onions and garlic.
After 3 minutes or until onion turns in light golden colour add tomato puree, and grated ginger.
After 1 minutes add chilli powder, coriander powder and (add spices to adjust your taste) cook till the oil starts separating from the mixture.
Now add cooked lentils and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Add garam masala, cream and 3 tablespoon butter (if lentils will thicken after some time so make sure to add enough warm water for cooking).
Cook for another 5 minutes. Now creamy Makhani daal is ready to serve.
Garnish with fresh cream & butter and serve hot.
This is an entry in the
Meal Prep Challenge