Introduction: 5 NEW and Creative Uses for Olive Oil!
We all know olive oil is wonderful to cook with, and can be great for your skin and hair, but I bet you never thought of it as a locksmith or a first aid companion.
Today I'm so excited to share my 5 NEW and Creative Uses for Olive Oil. Olive oil is my favorite, but vegetable oil can also be used for all of the following hacks, so grab some from your cupboard, and let's get started!
Step 1: Key Hole Helper
Does the lock on your front door struggle every-time you try to open it? Does it seem to fight with your house key?
Wipe down your key down with some olive oil. It acts as a lubricant, helping the key to get into the lock with ease.
Step 2: Wipe Down Key
- Wipe down your house key with a small amount of oil. (no dripping)
- Be sure to only slightly lubricate the key, you don't want buildup in your lock. It will last for about a week.
Step 3: Try Key
- Gently slide the key in and turn. If it works easily, you've done it! If not, lubrication is not the issue, so don't add more oil. You probably have a bent key, and need a new one.
Step 4: Wheel/Grill Cleaner
Get rid of the brake dust, bugs, dirt and pollen that accumulate on your car’s grill, tires and hub caps. Why use expensive special auto cleaners when olive oil works perfectly! .
Step 5: Prepare Rag
Pour a a small amount onto a paper towel or a rag
Step 6: Wipe and Done!
Step 7: Shovel Coating
Gardening and yard work, can take a toll on your shovels and gardening tools. A great way to help them out (and yourself) is to use olive oil to coat them. This helps prevent dirt from clumping onto your tools. The cleaner they are, the better they work!
Step 8: Wipe Down
Coat your shovel with a thin layer of oil, using a rag.
Step 9: Give It a Whirl!
Try your tool, and prepare to be amazed by how the dirt and debris simply falls away.
This technique will help you avoid putting away dirty tools, which over time damages them greatly.
Step 10: Sliver Removal
My kids tend to get slivers occasionally, and I've found that nothing loosens them up easier than olive oil!
Step 11: Coat Sliver Area
Rub a small amount of oil over the sliver.
Step 12: Gently Massage
- Massage gently
- Often the sliver will slide right out without even needing tweezers
Step 13: Tweeze If Needed
If the sliver does need a bit more coaxing, use tweezers.
(be sure your hands are oil free)
What's great about this technique is that the oil aides in loosening up the sliver, which reduces the pain slightly, making it easier to help an upset child.
Step 14: DIY Makeup Remover Sheets
Makeup remover sheets can be pricey, but I have a cheap easy hack to make PERFECT ones at home with 2 simple items! All you need are baby wipes and olive oil!
Step 15: Prepare Wipes
Pour about 1/2 cup of olive oil into the opening of a pack of dollar store baby wipes.
Step 16: Squishy Squish
Close the pack and squish the oil around for about 2 minutes.
Step 17: Open and Use!
- Open up your pack and pull out one of your newly created wipes.
- Gently wipe over makeup, and be amazed by how quickly and effectively it removes the most stubborn makeup!
- Olive oil is also a great moisturizer, so every time you remove your makeup, you are naturally improving your skin! BONUS!
Step 18: Enjoy Your Results!
Thank you for reading! I hope these creative oil hacks helped you in some way! Please vote for me in the Oil Challenge!
Have a wonderful day!
Participated in the