Introduction: 8X40 LED MATRIX CALENDAR CLOCK WITH REMOTE
Today I am going to show how to make Scrolling and animated LED MATRIX CALENDAR CLOCK for arduino. This project has following features
What is new in Version 2.0
- Added IR remote based Date/Time Adjusting
- Smooth animation
- Many bug fixes in software
• Custom LED Matrix using easily available LEDS
• Scroll effect horizontally and vertically
• Arduino compatible(Easy interfacing)
• DS1307 based RTC
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Parts
• LEDs 320 pcs
• Arduino UNO
• Lithium Battery 3V
• 74HC595 shif registers 6 pcs
• ULN 2003 (optional) if you need to drive leds with high current,
• 3.3k Resistors 2 pcs
• 1 K resistor 40 pcs
• Few jumper wires
Step 2: LED MATRIX BOARD AND SCHEMATIC
First make led matrix board using LEDs in whole PCB. For this connect components as in picture attached
Make connection to 74HC595 as in schematic
Step 3: DS1307 RTC Clock
DS1307 is easily available almost everywhere. it is a popular RTC chip which requires few wiring. connect SDA pin to A4 and SCL pin to A5 pin of arduino
Step 4: Software
The program is written in arduino. it uses RTCLib arduino library for communicating with DS1307. for that download library from RTCLib Github and IRRemote library from IRRemote Github and add it to libraries folder of your arduino installation.
and download Zip file which contains required files and Proteus simulation.(To make simulation work, uncomment line 375, comment line 373) and Arduino program file and load it to arduino. I have also provided hex file if you want to burn it to separate atmega328 chip.
Step 5: Final Prototype (Image and Video)
After connecting all parts, Here is final build, You can watch video also.
How to adjust Time?
Device uses NEC IR protocol. For this i have used Huayu Universal remote.
- Press 5 key of remote
- You will get setup message
- Press OK, you will see Y=2000 now increment by Ch+ or decrement by ch-
- when done press OK, year is adjusted, repeat same for Month, day, hour, minute